24" Wheel Wobble...

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

24" Wheel Wobble...

darita darita
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 04/18/07
08:49 AM

Confused I have an '03 Expedtion.  I just put some 24" wheels and tires on it and can't get the steering wheel to stop wobbling at 60+mph.  I've had the fronts balanced several times, but the problem continues.  Anyone have experience with this issue? Confused  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
04:58 PM

Have you talked with the garage that installed the wheels and tires? What have they said? Have they been helpful? Is it when you're cruising, or when you apply the brakes?  

darita darita
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/07
06:40 PM

The place where I bought them has done about 4 rebalances, but there's been no change.  The steering wheel wobble comes on at about 60 to 70 and can get really bad at about 80.
At this point, they have taken the wheels and tires off and are sending them back to the manufacturer for evaluation and possible replacement.  Something tells me they will come back and be deemed "within tolerance".  If that happens, I'll be back at square one.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 04/20/07
02:36 PM

That's cool that they've taken care of it as best they can so far. If they do come back and say it's "within tolerances" I'd see if they'd be willing to give you a store credit toward the purchase of a different set of wheels. Honestly, it could also be the tires, too. I'd try a different set of rims first, then I'd try different tires. Sorry you're having to go through this, but sometimes the only time they can isolate stuff like this is trial & error. I find it hard to believe nobody at the shop has run into a similar issue before, and doesn't have some idea of how to fix it.