the tornado

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

the tornado

zack14 zack14
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/11/07
09:19 AM

dose the tornado realy work? dose it realy give u more gas milage? im looking for somthing that will make my truck get more mpg. cost like $60.00 to $70.00 i wanted to get every bodys idea on the tornado  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
11:32 AM

I tried it on one of my previous cars. Definitely didn't hurt anything, but I can't say I saw a huge improvement in fuel economy. Throttle response was maybe a little sharper. If you're just curious and have $60 you can spend, might as well give it a shot. But don't expect 50 more horsepower or 15 more miles per gallon. At most, maybe a horse or two, or an mpg or two, if anything.  

truckmod75 truckmod75
Moderator | Posts: 124 | Joined: 10/06
11:35 AM

Honestly, the best thing you could probably do to improve your gas mileage on a truck is a tonneau cover, and also modifying your driving habits. The key is getting up to cruising speed quickly, and just feathering the throttle once you're there to maintain speed. Truckin' did a blog post about it: http://blogs.truckinweb.com/6208257/opinions/study-shows-aggressive-initial-throttle-saves-fuel/index.html  

CodyKallis CodyKallis
Enthusiast | Posts: 533 | Joined: 04/07
04:53 PM

Well I'm kinda embarrased to admit this but here goes.  I was watching Myth Busters on t.v. and they did a gas mileage episode, with tonneau covers, no tail gate, different driving speeds etc. What the found was that a tonneau actually hurt mileage on their 94 + S10.  I thought that it was b.s. i always thought that taking your end gate off or having a tonneau on {i have one on my 90 GMC) would improve mileage.  Check out myth busters to see if you can find the info. from that episode.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
08:49 PM

Well, I do know driving with your tailgate down definitely doesn't help. I see guys doing it all the time, and I just want to yell at them out the window. I guess having your tailgate closed creates kind of an "air bubble" over the bed that causes the airflow to flow more smoothly over the rear end. I wonder if a camper shell would be more efficient than a tonneau? Any thoughts/experiences?  

CodyKallis CodyKallis
Enthusiast | Posts: 533 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 05/14/07
08:56 PM

As far as I recall, adding one of those nets in place of your end gate added the most mpg.  Myth busters isnt exactly science though.  

Wheat Wheat
Moderator | Posts: 431 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/13/07
02:09 PM

I would think it could hurt performance since it doesnt spin.