Should Chevy Bring Back the El Camino?

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Should Chevy Bring Back the El Camino?

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 05/18/07
05:57 PM

It's almost a certainty that Australia is going to get a new 'Ute version of the re-designed Commodore sedan that will be coming to the U.S. as the Pontiac G8 for '08 as well as a new Impala in '09. Should they import the Ute version to the U.S. as the new El Camino? Is there room in the market for such a vehicle? Would you buy it?  

joela joela
User | Posts: 51 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 05/18/07
06:03 PM

no and no. el camino's time is over: today's crossovers and SUVs are more than adequate--and fashionable.  Laugh  

TRIBECA69 TRIBECA69
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/23/07
01:12 PM

Yes I think that Chevy should bring back the El Camino based on the re-designed Holden Commodore as well as the Nomad based on the Holden Commodore Van. I would also like to see a 600bhp 6.0L V8 version of the 'Ute sold as the El Camino SS. I would like to see a version in the UK.

And I would like to see a new Ranchero based on the Ford 'Ute go on sale in the USA and he UK as well.

But why is the HHR not going to be on sale in the UK as well.

MiCHAEL.A.HiLL
Liverpool
England  

CanuckTruck CanuckTruck
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/26/07
02:07 AM

It would be nice to have it in the market, not too sure if I woud actually buy one though.  

Stock350 Stock350
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/27/07
11:50 PM

I was never into the truck/car thing. I dont think it would be a good idea for GM to put that out on the market.  

truckmod75 truckmod75
Moderator | Posts: 124 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 08/03/07
12:02 PM

Heck yeah! I'd totally buy one. I'm tired of hearing from guys that say, "Look at what a flop the SSR was." The SSR was too heavy, overpriced, and impractical. It was essentially a modern-day street-rod built on a truck chassis. The "beds" in those things are good-sized "trunks" but that's all they are. It's a truck in shape only. It's pretty much useless as an actual truck.

I'll grant you that a Holden "Ute" or a new El Camino won't have quite the same utility or capacity of a conventional full-size half-ton, but not everyone wants or needs that. I'd love to have something that drives like a car, but has the ability to haul some medium-sized loads in a pinch. If GM can figure out a way to profitably bring over about 10,000 of them a year, or better yet, build them in a plant alongside the other new Zeta models (Probably Oshawa, Ontario), I think they'd be a hit at that volume. If they offered a Crew Cab version, I think that would increase the popularity even more. Check this out: