Ad Radar
Subscribe
Subscribe
> > > > >
The Two Million Mile Volkswagen Vanagon...

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Balboa455 Balboa455
User | Posts: 194 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 07/19/07
11:04 AM

Maybe ten years ago one of my automotive obsessions took a dangerous turn in that I had convinced myself I REALLY had to have a Volkswagen Vanagon. You know, one of the boxy, last of the rear engined, air cooled Volkswagen vans. I pictured myself driving across the United States and Canada, rowing through the gears with the four foot tall gear shifter. (If you have ever driven or gotten a ride in one, you know what I mean.) And before you ask, no, I am not a fan of the Grateful Dead.
  What, pray tell, is my point? Well, last week on the 5 freeway in Los Angeles as I sped down the 5 freeway at 95 mph (a speed unattainable in a Vanagon) I spied an early nineties Vanagon slowly ambling down the road in the slow lane. I then nearly drove off an overpass when I spied the license plate surround that said "2 million miles driven-4/16/06. How is that possible? Now I want one again. And, no, I don't like Phish either.  

Superbeast Superbeast
User | Posts: 199 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/16/07
04:59 AM

I bet 2 million miles is possible with any vehicle if it is maintained properly.

A vanagon would not be my first choice, but I would love to travel the good ol USA in my van. Maybe one day when I retire, I will meet up with you in your Vanagon.    Grin  
Superbeast