which is the better exhaust?

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

which is the better exhaust?

jmaca jmaca
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 07/23/07
06:07 PM

I have a 2002 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 Extended Cab. I want to get an exhaust for it but im not convinced on which brand to get. I like a loud rumble as well as added horse power and Im in a limbo between purchaseing a BORLA exhaust and a FLOWMASTER. What do you guys think?  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/24/07
10:12 AM

Borla is good, but tends to be expensive. I personally have a Magnaflow on my car, and have been pretty happy with it. But it's hard to beat the sound of a Flowmaster. Gibson also has some nice stuff. Depending on where you live, I'd definitely get stainless. Flowmaster has just recently started offering stainless systems. Heck, I live in California, and I'd go with stainless just for durability and longevity. A lot of the exhaust manufacturers' sites have sound clips. Keep in mind that what you hear from outside the vehicle is different from what you'll hear inside.

Do your buddies have any exhausts on their trucks? What systems do they have? Have they been happy with them? Honestly, word-of-mouth referrals are probably your best bet to get a real-world idea of what it's like to live with an exhaust system.  

JuKo_GMC JuKo_GMC
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/20/08
09:51 PM

I have an 02 Sierra and I have Magnaflow 3" exhaust, it sounds really throaty, If you want a nice deep rumble, when you punch it, its pretty loud!! And I think theirs a power change, If your truck is a 5.3L, Iam not sure about the 4.8L Grin .  

05CREWCAB. 05CREWCAB.
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 06/23/08
08:05 AM

I have a 2005 gmc sierra SLE crewcab. i had the borla and got rid of it for the Gibson stainless sport truck exhaust and am very pleased with the sound. but if you want to be safe go with the flowmaster its always a deep clean sound.  

jordon12 jordon12
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 06/23/08
07:17 PM

Flowmaster allll the way it will give you that deep throaty sound if thats what you want. i have one on my 96 4.3 S10 (V6). it sounds sooo good.  

gabe74gt gabe74gt
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 10/18/09
07:28 AM

I have the same magnaflow too and love it, you can usually get a used one on ebay or cragislist.  I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Magnaflow 36438.  Also some of the forum sponsors usually have a sale going on.  Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.  

gcunha gcunha
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 10/09
08:19 PM

i have an 02 chevy Avy and have flow master. it sounds great.  

IMVANISHINGBREED IMVANISHINGBREED
Moderator | Posts: 365 | Joined: 08/07
10:01 PM

Flowmaster. I have Flowmaster Delta Force mufflers (single chamber) and they are awesome.  
Mike Cook
Vice President
Inland Vans Berdoo
2008 Route 66 Hall of Fame Inductee

Wheat Wheat
Moderator | Posts: 431 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/22/09
07:10 AM

Magnaflow makes great exhaust systems, but check out Dynomax as well...Clicky  

amkat amkat
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/19/10
09:15 PM

I have a 2003 Sierra and I had a GIBSON STAINLESS SUPER SPORT TRUCK exhaust on it exiting in front of the right rear tire. If you like it really loud both outside and inside the truck, then this system is for you. As for myself, the drone in the cab drove me mad!!I replaced it with a GM PERFORMANCE PARTS dual sport exhaust that exsists out the back. It comes polished and has a perfect balance of sound.I also have the GM 20" wheels. Check out your dealer for great upgrades designed just for GMC TRUCKS Cool  

Rebel37 Rebel37
User | Posts: 133 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/05/10
07:46 PM

I've heard good about both, but I'd go with Flowmaster. I've got it on my 93 Sierra and it sounds great because you've got the growl, but when you fire it up, it doesn't sound like you got metal flying around.  
And the fourth rider came upon a PALE HORSE and his name was death, and hell followed him.

bigc1 bigc1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/18/13
04:29 PM

I AM bigc1 and new to the TRUCKIN site,just joined in april 2013.I have a 1996 k1500 with the 5.7 vortec engine,and put on dual exhaust out the rear with 3" pipe with FLOWMASTER  series 40 and it sounds great.THE engine is all stock  with a volant cold air intake and a F.A.S.T. MAF sensor.Tranny is a 700R with a B@M stage 2 shift kit.With 76,873 miles on the VORTEC it just hauls A**!!!.The FLOWMASTERS have got a lot of attention.Iam sure whatever you end up using it will be GREAT,because you have a GMC!!!! GOOD LUCK,,,,bigc1