Ad Radar
Subscribe
Subscribe
> > > > >
How High is Too High When It Comes to Lift Kits?

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Balboa455 Balboa455
User | Posts: 194 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 08/01/07
12:19 PM

At lunch today I parked next to a late model Chevy Silverado Super Crew with the Duramax Diesel Motor. The only thing about it that REALLY caught my eye was that this monster was at least four and a half feet off the ground from pavement to the bottom of the door. How does one enter and exit that truck with any grace. And heaven help you if you try to take someone of the opposite sex for a drive if they are wearing a dress. (Unless, of course, the driver is in fact female.)
I am sorry, but if you have a truck that is outfitted that ruggedly, it will not look cool to have to pull out a stepladder to get in. This is regardless of gender, height, weight or age.

I also wonder what this must do to the handling characteristics of a truck like that. At least a full size pickup has the length and width to offset a bit of the elevated center of gravity. A friend of mine in high school had a lifted Ford Bronco II and making U-turns at even the lowest of speeds was always a two wheeled affair. We just sort of leaned in the car depending on the direction of the u-turn to offset gravity. Wow, that was unsafe.  

5569 5569
Administrator | Posts: 328 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 08/01/07
02:17 PM

yeah some of those crazy lifted trucks CAN'T be safe on the road, and I know it's made me nervous having one behind me while cruisin' to a show. They don't handle and they don't stop haha. My bagged truck takes a speed bump 10x better than some of those trucks.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 08/14/07
01:11 PM

I'd say 8 or 10 inches. Personally, I think 6 inches is plenty. But if you're going for the mega-monster meats like 44s or bigger, then sometimes you have to get insane. To each their own, I guess.  

Chevrolet-Fanatic Chevrolet-Fanatic
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 08/07
02:12 PM

If the suspension is setup and done properly then you can go as high as you want in some cases.  The higher you go though the wider your track width is going to have to be to compensate for the increase in height, if not, rollover is going to be a big risk.  A lifted truck that earns my respect is one that is done right.  Anything over a 6"-9" lift and 35-36's on the IFS equipped trucks is asking for severe trouble.  I hate seeing these stupid looking IFS lifted trucks with Full Throttle and Whiplash lifts with 40's and 44's on them that look like if they were driven down the road 1 mile the suspension would just implode on them and maybe kill someone.  I think those Huge IFS lifts look horrible and are plain retarded when it comes to even thinking about one.  If your going to lift a truck do it the right way with a SAS and be done with it.  Don't take the easiest way out to just go high with a crazy stupid unsafe IFS lift to fit your 40" Toyo MT's, 44" Boggers, 46" Claws, 49" Iroks, or whatever the case may be.  Please take into account the others out their on the road around you and do it the RIGHT way.  
Katastrophic Kustoms WV Truck Club President
WV Chapter of CTW Member
L13 Truck & SUV Association Member

truckmod75 truckmod75
Moderator | Posts: 124 | Joined: 10/06
02:50 PM

Yeah, at a certain point, you almost have to go straight-axle. You have to keep it proportional. If you just go up, and you don't go out, you'll wind up with a goofy-looking, tippy truck.  

03Lifteddodge 03Lifteddodge
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/16/08
10:49 AM

I have an 03 ram 1500 quad cab lifted 9" on 37's and it's not to high I only sit 34" off the ground from rocker panel to ground and I love it NEVER TO HIGH  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 05/16/08
11:10 AM

Personally, I don't like the way super-high trucks drive. Yeah, they may look cool, but they just feel sloppy and wobbly when they're super-high.

Given a choice, I think I'd go for a 2-3 inch drop on some low-pro 20s and meaty street rubber. A supercharged 5300 or 6000 Vortec under the hood. That's some good times, there.  

Woody35 Woody35
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 05/25/08
10:01 AM

anything above 10 inch lift is too high. put on the wrong tires and i would say 8 inch. esanchez i thought you liked diesels  
1938 Allis Chalmers model B tractor MODS: Straight Pipe,side step