Ad Radar
Subscribe
Subscribe
> > > > >
How Would You Build Your Dream New OEM Full Size Truck?

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Balboa455 Balboa455
User | Posts: 194 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 08/23/07
08:58 AM

My mind started to wander, as it often does, on my way to work today slogging through morning rush hour. I wondered what sort of full size pickup I would want if I could raid the parts bins of every major truck manufacturer. A juicy subject, and I am sure I will change my mind five minutes after typing this. But here goes...And I want to hear what you would want! If you don't have an opinion, maybe you should try MarthaStewartLiving.com.

First, I would start with the body of the F-150. I like my trucks boxy, utilitarian and in Quad Cab configuration. Then I would definitely use the new six speed automatic GM has started to use (I even think the old ancient four speed is better than any of the trannies (not transvestites) from other manufacturers.) Brakes would come from the new Tundra. (From what I have read, it is the class leader in that respect.) Engine wise, I have pick the Dodge 5.7 liter Hemi (not the power leader, but makes the best noise. Also easy to tune and work on) or the Duramax Diesel engine. Better yet, how about a hybrid Duramax/Hemi motor? Gas motor in the front/diesel in the back. (Who needs to be able to carry anything in the bed if you had that much power?)Okay, I went overboard on the last bit.

To finish off, I would take the interior from the new Silverado. No real explanation there, I just think it is the best. (Whoever thought we could say that about an interior from GM?) Also, chassis/differential/transfer case wise I would go with GM again. From what I have learned as a service adviser at Ford/Dodge, it is the most durable and has the fewest service needs. To me, those things are unproven in the new Tundra as so much of it is a first year platform. And in my experience all first year platforms have problems. It is just a fact. It takes time to work out the bugs. No matter how relentlessly you pursue perfection.                 (Oops, that's Lexus.)

Okay then...your turn. Or follow this link...

http://www.marthastewart.com  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
09:54 AM

Actually, depending on if you're looking for a half-ton or 3/4-1-ton, I think my decision is pretty much already made.

I drove an '07 Sierra Denali a few months ago, and was very impressed with it. Great sound, plenty of power, refinement, etc. My only gripes about it was a relatively low towing capacity, and no low-range. Also, ironically for a 6.2 V-8, I thought it could use a tad more low-end torque. Maybe either add a blower, or punch it out to 6.5 or so, and add a more torque-biased cam.

If you're talking a 3/4-1-ton, I'd have to go with the new Sierra. As much as I love the refinement and smoothness of the Duramax, I think long-term, the Cummins would probably hold up better. So I'd take a Sierra with the Cummins.

Yeah, I know my avatar is a bowtie, but I like the styling on the new Sierras better. What about you guys?  

Chevrolet-Fanatic Chevrolet-Fanatic
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 08/07
11:12 PM

This is the OEM truck I would start with....and these are the aftermarket and custom mods I would do to it.

I've already been thinking.

GMT900 Silverado RCSB Blue Granite Metallic
5.3L Engine
4.10 Gears

Exterior
5/7 Drop
22" Wheels
Front and rear brake upgrade.
Color match engine bay plastics.
Color matched grille shell, handles, and OnStar antenna.
Speed Grille Insert
Billet Bowtie
Street Scene Cal-Vu Sport Mirrors
Bumper Cover
Roll Pan
Debadge
New Hood
Antenna Delete
Smooth Wiper Cowl
Billet Wiper Arms
Gaylords Fiberglass Tonneau
Bedrug
Window Tint 5% or 10%
Do something custom with all the lighting.

Interior
Gauge Cluster
Painted Pieces
Katzkin 2 Tone Leather Seat Upholstery
Floor Liners
Maybe some billet.
Not big on audio, so probably stock for a good while.

Engine
Intake
Exhaust
Headers
Custom Tune
Cam and other internal engine mods.
Maybe a small shot of nitrous.
Maybe a Radix sometime.

Transmission
Shift Kit
Stall Converter
Servos
Transmission Cooler

Probably forgetting stuff but that's a start.

GM 4 LIFE  
Katastrophic Kustoms WV Truck Club President
WV Chapter of CTW Member
L13 Truck & SUV Association Member

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 08/27/07
05:04 PM

Pretty sweet truck. But I'd stick in an LS3 and add a blower to it.  Cool  

Chevrolet-Fanatic Chevrolet-Fanatic
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/30/07
08:43 PM

Yeah that would be sweet, maybe after the 5.3 begged for mercy and gave out hahaha.

I'd like to mod out the 5.3 in one of the new trucks first and see how fast I could get it to run.  I know a couple guys with the 5.3 in crew cabs, and even they will get up and absolutely fly with a couple of well selected mods.

Hopefully I can actually do that once I finish college.  
Katastrophic Kustoms WV Truck Club President
WV Chapter of CTW Member
L13 Truck & SUV Association Member

BigBlueChevy BigBlueChevy
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/31/07
01:48 PM

If I could have any truck I would have to go with Dale Jr. Big Red, that truck is everything I want and then some. For lack of better words the truck is beautiful.