Ad Radar
Subscribe
Subscribe
> > > > >
Honda Odyssey Commercials: Cool or Lame?

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 04/03/07
04:28 PM

What do you guys think of the latest Honda Odyssey commercials "Respect the Van." Are they just patronizing the 70s, or do you think it's a clever & memorable campaign?  

truckmod75 truckmod75
Moderator | Posts: 124 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 04/24/07
04:42 PM

I know what they're trying to do. They're trying to do a '70s theme, back when vans were considered cool. I guess it works. I think it's a little patronizing, though.

I mean, come on, as "cool" as you try to make it, it's still a freakin' minivan. I've seen some pretty slick customized Odysseys and Siennas, but if you've got this mental thing about owning a minivan, nothing is going to convince you they're cool.  

Superbeast Superbeast
User | Posts: 199 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/16/07
08:03 AM

Yeah, What he said. The comercial is cool, but never gonna get me to buy a mini-van.  
Superbeast

IMVANISHINGBREED IMVANISHINGBREED
Moderator | Posts: 365 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/16/07
02:28 PM

The commercials in themselves are pretty cool but all the commercials in the world wouldn't get me to buy one. My van made a cameo appearance in the first "Respect the van" commercial.  
Mike Cook
Vice President
Inland Vans Berdoo
2008 Route 66 Hall of Fame Inductee

OldVanGuy OldVanGuy
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/19/07
01:47 PM

I like the commercials. I read and have seen on TV that van manufacturers are looking at the youth market as prospective buyers of their product. What if they did do a cruiser like ford did back in the 70's who knows it may be a good seller.  I just don't want a new van, If someone does, and if they want to customize it, that's cool, I want to see it, but it's just not my ride.

When I started thinking about getting a van again, I looked seriously at the early Dodge Caravans, the lines are right, and the aftermarket stuff is there to beef up the motors, wheels are available and the gas mileage is right.  They are very affordable now, and they aren't that much smaller inside than the early fords, plus you can get to the back without crawling over the doghouse.

That said, I am a hotrodder, custom guy and like to go to car shows, so I wanted something that fit my age better, and something that would get me into car shows, like Goodguy's and other shows that have cutoff years for admission.  For me it had to be an old van, but I know that I'll be on the highway one day, pushing my van at the speed limit and some lowered caravan with blacked out windows, custom paint, a wing on the back and the stereo thumping is gonna fly by me like I'm sitting still, and it'll still be getting 10 more miles per gallon than I am.

Cool thing about the car hobby, there really is room for everybody  

Superbeast Superbeast
User | Posts: 199 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/20/07
07:39 AM

i hear ya there buddy, but it could be a 4x4 dually full size Ford with a diesel, passing you too. Biggest difference will be the mini-van owner will prolly be flipping you off for going so slow, and I'll be slowing down to give you a thumbs up!  Grin  
Superbeast

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 06/03/09
03:39 PM

Have you guys seen the latest Odyssey commercials? You know, the ones with the A-Team-sounding theme music and old vans doing burnouts and doing flying jumps. It definitely looks low-budget, but kind of cool at the same time. What do you think?  

Snotty Snotty
User | Posts: 94 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 06/03/09
04:30 PM

as long as the "van" is getting exposure I'm all for em!!!  

Showvans1 Showvans1
User | Posts: 143 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 06/26/09
08:01 AM

These ads have helped bring custom vans back in the limelight. They preceded all the other ads that have included vans and likely inspired them. The production company was in touch with the vanners through the various vanning websites like vannin.com when they made the original ad and the vanners whose vans were used were well rewarded for their efforts.  
Vannin.com staff, showtrux.com/paneltruck.com webmaster
Member Van Azur, ACVQ, OFV, National Truck-In Board support staff and occasional contributor to this fine magazine going back to 1982.