UAW-GM Strike - What do you think?

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

UAW-GM Strike - What do you think?

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 09/24/07
04:42 PM

Here's your chance to sound off about the UAW/GM strike. Who's being greedy and selfish here? GM or the UAW? Are the UAW workers just a bunch of spoiled crybabies that want something for nothing, or is GM just symbolic of corporate America's assault on the "little guy?" We want to know!  

55Guy 55Guy
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 09/25/07
06:19 AM

I'm siding with GM on this one. UAW workers overall are spoiled. During the last layoffs the Big Three had, I remember one UAW employee complaining that he'd have to find a job where he only made $30 an hour! I don't know about the rest of you, but if I made $30 an hour, I'd be living pretty happy. UAW employees make $50 an hour!

The other thing is the short sightedness of the UAW, and some of the unions in general. What's the worse option, taking a pay cut, or staying at the same pay rate and losing your job a few months later because the company can't afford to pay your job, so they shut your plant down and move production overseas?

I think the big problem with the UAW and unions is they're looking at a situation where their memebrs are gonna have to take pay cuts to a more "real world" wage, and they don't want to give that cushy pay rate up.  

truckmod75 truckmod75
Moderator | Posts: 124 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 09/25/07
06:07 PM

I'm all for buying American and everything, but I've got to agree. The UAW workers are a bunch of lazy, spoiled brats. Maybe they should have studied a little harder in school if they wanted a better-paying job! Sure, construction and some of the trades still offer blue-collar guys a chance to make good money, but the days of the high-paying, low-skill manufacturing jobs are well over. The UAW needs to come to terms with the fact their ranks need to become leaner and better-skilled. There will always be a need for specialized skills, but using a power wrench to tighten bolts does not qualify.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 09/26/07
09:40 AM

Well, it's over. Gettelfinger called off the strike. It seems like the sticking point was the two-tier wage structure, which the UAW finally agreed to. More details to come.