Chrysler Going Private - Good or Bad?

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Chrysler Going Private - Good or Bad?

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 05/17/07
04:42 PM

What do you guys think of Cerberus buying Chrysler? Do you think this will be good for consumers from a product-development standpoint? From the sound of things, the Durango and Aspen are getting the axe. Looks like they're going to be replaced by some new crossovers. But I think those plans were in the works before this deal. Thoughts?  

redscare redscare
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/17/07
04:49 PM

The most positive outcome would be an infusion of competent management, something that the Detroit 3 have been lacking in until very recently.  
Ce n'est pas une voiture

Thanos Ram 02 Thanos Ram 02
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 10/14/07
01:45 AM

Not sure how this will play out really. But one thing is certain, Chrysler can't allow themselves to alienate their buyers with bad resale value and products that get little to no response from the public. So getting rid of some of their weaker products would be a nice start. If that means the Aspen and Durango will see the turk, so long. We hardly knew ye....  
No copycats...

Wheat Wheat
Moderator | Posts: 431 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/14/07
06:44 PM

Trucks run the world, so cross-overs have no place for us true TRUCK guys.  

Balboa455 Balboa455
User | Posts: 194 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 10/16/07
08:10 AM

The sale of Chrysler is about more than the mere fact it is going private, one must also look at WHO purchased the company. Cerebrus is in effect an Investment Banking firm whose name is derived from a word that means a "dog that guards the gates of *** Hello inappropriate naming.

My brother is an investment banker and from what I can glean from what he does, I would say lesser employees of the company should be concerned. A firm like Cerebrus goes into purchasing a company to get as large a return on their investment as possible. And we know the manufacturing of cars and trucks does not allow a high profit margin. (Unless you are Porsche and your customers spend thousands extra on options etc.) This may sound harsh, but I give Chrysler as we know it five more years in operation. Then valuable assets like land, the Jeep Brand, and maybe the minivan operation will be sold off to the highest bidder. Hasta la vista Chrysler.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 10/16/07
03:05 PM

I think especially in the context of a private investment firm, it will be vital for Chrysler to improve its residual values, profit margins, and general reputation. For a long time, ChryCo products were kind of known as the bottom-feeders of the industry, in terms of what you could buy them for, how well they held their value, and overall quality. Sure, the company has a few star players, (300, Minivans, Ram HD) but its offerings in a lot of other core segments are just embarrassing.

I'm not writing anyone off at this point, but I do agree the next five years are going to be key for the "new" Chrysler.