Static Drop vs. Bags

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Static Drop vs. Bags

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 12/04/07
05:53 PM

What do you guys think is better, a well-done static drop, or airbags? Why, and what have your experiences been?  

5569 5569
Administrator | Posts: 328 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 12/04/07
06:14 PM

Well, that's a good question! I've had both, and both have their ups and downs (ha ha). And, it depends on what style you're going for, and what your own personal preferences are.

I started with a 3/4 drop, and then bagged that truck a few years later.

A static drop is nice because you don't have to worry about it in the same ways that you do airbags. Airbags can be problematic - no - at some point, airbags WILL be problematic. An air system is bound to have problems, because there is a lot that has to be RIGHT about it, and when something is wrong, you're laid out on the side of the highway, and it happens very quickly. Something can be right one minute, and very wrong the next. Maintanence is a MUST on a bagged truck. I would put money down that at some point, you will have some sort of wiring problem or leak, nomatter how clean of a setup it is. A reliable bagged truck? Yes, it's very possible, and mine was reliable for years and years. Eventually you will encounter some issues though. :-)

BUT, a static drop is boring and dull compared to bags. Hittin' switches is fun, no doubt. Lifting your truck to get into super steep driveways is sometimes a necessity. With a bagged truck, you don't worry where you can and can't go. Air it up and go anywhere. See crap on the freeway? Air it up. More flexibility, more fun, more badass all around. And a bagged truck, set up properly, SHOULD have a nice ride quality. And ridin' an inch off the ground is tight, and so is hopping and dragging.

So the answer is...yes.  

truckmod75 truckmod75
Moderator | Posts: 124 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 12/12/07
03:33 PM

Bags are cool, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong. Reliability-wise, no question static drop. but you can't do the tricks with it you can with bags. I guess it depends if you're more into clownin' or cruisin'.  

Balboa455 Balboa455
User | Posts: 194 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 12/17/07
11:06 AM

Call me old-fashioned but when I buy a truck I want to be up not down. So I will go with the third option and a lift-kit. As for lowering I would always say a static drop is the best. The added weight and complexity of bags just aren't worth it in my eyes unless it is a show truck.