i'm a dumb dumb

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

i'm a dumb dumb

bobsdodgemudder bobsdodgemudder
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/05/07
10:01 AM

Confused ok, i've had this really awesome truck that i had purchased during last years income tax season, it is a 1998 dodge ram 1500. it has a 3 inch lift, 36 inch micky tires, v8 i guess built for the highway, i drive about 70-90 % on the highway sometimes more than 20 miles per day at about 55-60 miles per hour. i was just told that my axel, rear? or whatever was built to give it better gas mileage than one would expect for a huge truck with huge tires. what does a 3.55 ratio mean? what does 44f dana mean? or rear axel 9.2 chrysler mean? I never knew what kind of mileage I got but its good on gas. what would this truck actually be worth if i sold it? there is a bit of hail damage to the hood, roof and a little bit on the panels. not very noticable unless your standing next to it. it looks really super cool thanks to the guy that fixed it up. there's very few trucks like that around this area of minnesota, maybe a couple or three, that might compare. it runs excellent. i know what i paid for it but i know the guy practically gave it away as he is pretty much rich with about 7 other vehicles. so i dont know the worth. I dont know how to get a picture of it to this site either.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 12/05/07
02:59 PM

Hey. Yeah. Sounds like it might have been re-geared. 3.55 is a moderate axle ratio. A "short" ratio would be something like 4.10 or 4.30, a "tall" ratio would be like 3.23 or 3.10.

In terms of what you can get for it, you'd probably be better off private-party than with a trade-in. I'd check out www.kbb.com or some other site to try to get a rough valuation on it.

If you want to upload a photo, the actual image needs to be hosted on another site. Try www.photobucket.com for image hosting. It's free.  

bobsdodgemudder bobsdodgemudder
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/10/07
04:23 PM

i guess a 3.55 ratio allows my truck to get good gas mileage, I want to say it gets around 17-20 mpg, I ran out of gas one day, the price of gas caused me to keep it on e a lot, so eventually my feul pump went out, 661 bucks for the repair. but i threw in a gallon of gas and i drove around 20 miles with it, does that mean what it says?  

semo03hemiram semo03hemiram
New User | Posts: 20 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 06/22/08
06:25 PM

3.55 gears is referring to the ratio of the gears. 9.25 is referring to the size of the rear end. Your truck most likely came with the 3.55 gears. Dodge either puts 3.92 or 3.55 gears in them stock. To gain more takeoff, you can switch the gears out to 4.10s or 4.55s, but you will suffer mileage. The 9.25 is the axle Dodge has used for a long time, up to the last couple of years, when they switched to the AAM axle. The Dana 44 is the axle you have in the front.