My First Truck Stories....

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

My First Truck Stories....

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/20/07
02:56 PM

Share stories here about your first truck. Who did you buy it from? How long did you have to work to save up for it? What was your first modification?  

Balboa455 Balboa455
User | Posts: 194 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 07/23/07
10:04 AM

My first truck was a 1991 Toyota 4runner SR5 V6 and how I wish I had never sold it. But I suppose most people feel that way about their first vehicle, be it a car or a truck. I worked at Stacey's Bookstore in Cupertino, California and saved every spare penny for that truck. The only modifications that could happen with my limited budget was a set of off-road mud tires and a winch for the front. (I only really used it once to pull a stranded post office truck from a ditch by the side of the road. But it looked cool.)
    I only had two friends who liked to go off-road at the time in High School but thankfully one had a grandfather with acres and acres of great untouched muddy land. The minute it would start raining my friend Rob would give me a call and off we would go. It is raining today...Man I wish I knew someone with great expanses of privately owned off-road land. I also wish I still had that truck.  

5569 5569
Administrator | Posts: 328 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 08/08/07
10:19 AM

My first truck was and still is my 1999 S10. The money for this truck came mainly from my grandparents. We bought the truck 2 days after my Sophomore year of High School ended, June 24, 2000, to be exact  Tongue with the understanding that I would need transportation for that job (that I didn't have yet).

I knew I wanted the truck the instant I laid my eyes on it, and why, I'm not sure. I knew HOW to drive stick, but never had actually driven stick, but I was fine by the end of that first day.

My first modification was Euro taillights, you know, before EVERYONE had them. Back in the day, they were pretty expensive. I got pulled over for these lights, and my DAD happened to be a bike ride and SAW me pulled over. Good times! These lights were then stolen.  

joela joela
User | Posts: 51 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/08/07
02:23 PM

first truck? *** that'd be my good old mitsu mighty max. because my parents bought it used when they handed it to me as my college graduation gift, i never found out what year it was.

i had her for 7 years, the longest time i've had a vehicle. she had already had mods on her: wire to hold up her bumper while, inside, one of those strip rearview mirror jobs.

hot as hades to drive around since there was no ac. bumpy as all heck. but she was mine and got me places. finally gave her to family where she ran even more years before sold off to someone else. as far as i know, she's still truckin' around las vegas.  

layne12 layne12
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/26/08
05:46 AM

i just bought my first truck, a 96' s10 extended cab. i bought it from a local dealer, its got the vortec v6 with just barely over 60,000 on it. runs great haven't had a single problem with it, my first mod so far has been daystar headlights, much better then the stock ones that i couldnt see a damn thing with. i plan to hoppefully at somepoint soon to bag it fully.  

silent_orchestra silent_orchestra
User | Posts: 59 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/26/08
11:22 AM

My first truck was, and still is a 1960 Ford F100 I got it in 8th grade about 5 years ago. We got it at an old farm in western nebraska. The family that owned the farm had all passed away except for one of the sons, my dad's buddy. We ended up buying everything on the farm, about 40 old cars from 1920 to the mid 90's. The truck was one of my favorites out of the bunch. And the cool part was the key and title were in the flip down visor. And amazingly I stuck the key in it cranked over and sputtered to life. The tired little 223 and 4spd is getting replaced by a 394 Olds Sky Rocket, and a Muncie 4spd. The 223 is sitting in a set of rails I fabbed up for a '31 Model A sports coupe we got there too. Altogether I have 6 trucks of my own. my '94 Chevy 1500 which is in the process of a 425 Olds, TH400 Swap. A 1987 Bronco II, aka The Buckin' Bronc, it's my uncles Ex Radical Dancer, it's real ugly though, I basically just want the hydrualic set up out of it. A 1991 Ford F-250 4x4, the muddin' truck 6 inch lift 40 inch swampers, alcoa wheels, 460 with the full Mondello Treatment. Real beat up rusty body, it is pretty much the beater/junk haulin' truck. Then there's mine/my dad's 1930 Model A pickup, that is getting a 320c.i. Buick Straight 8, with a T5 and a 9 inch. We also have a '57 Ford F750 Big Job, it's pretty much a small semi, no plans as of yet for it, maybe a resto?, and then last is the '60 Effie I talked about above. I have a bunch of old crusty cars to, but since it's a truck forum I'll just leave it at that.  

kaboom10 kaboom10
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/27/08
12:41 PM

My first truck I had was a lease. It was a 92 Ford Explorer an SUV in actuality but I was working at GM and a coworker had an S10. It was comparitable. Ok some are gonna argue I should have had a Ranger to be exact. I had the same power and 4wd and towing package a Ranger had. We leased one SUV and a true truck (F-150) after that. I would buy my truck and she would buy her SUV then we would sell them for a profit and lease another. I fell in love with my 2002 and bought it. It's like a newer vehicle with such low miles on it. I changed the OEM filter at 10k miles with a K&N element and modified the air box so it is open. The front pads went early and I put EBC stuff on all the way around. Sure stops nice fully loaded like it's empty. Stops empty well enuff to get some large eyes starring into the rear view mirrors. Grin I've got plans to get some more ponies out of it when I figure out what is the best bang for the buck.  
02 F-150 butt kicker

Posted: 01/30/08
04:11 PM

Wow, Silent! Sounds like you've got quite a collection there. Keep us updated, and be sure to post some pics in http://rides.truckinweb.com.  

mwsounds mwsounds
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 01/31/08
11:17 AM

My first truck was a 1985 Dodge Ram D50 mini truck. When I purchased it, it did not have a radio, so my first mod was to add a radio and some new speakers. After that, I started getting crazy with the system. Before I traded it in for a family mini van, I had 4 10 inch subs behind the seat in a self made custom box with horn tweeters all being pushed by a Coustic 190 amp. I had to change out the sunroof after I smacked it and it shattered all over my passengers. I also traded out the solid rear window for a sliding one. I built a home made tonneau cover out of plywood and and old rubber rug (it never leaked)! This truck was the beginning of my dodge collection. I have had 4 dodge trucks ('85 D50, '97 Dakota Club Cab, '04 Dakota Club Cab, and '06 1500 Mega Cab) and 3 Dodge mini vans ('85 Ram van custom, 92 Caravan, and '97 Grand Voyager).  

Punk_Star Punk_Star
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/01/08
07:28 PM

My first truck was and still is a 1960 Ford F100. It was my grandpa's truck. When he died my dad inherited it and it had been sitting in our back field(since I was about 5 or 6) along with a an old caddy, a 55 Willy's Jeep, an early 30's Hudson, an old international pickup(I would guess in the 40's era). It had been there for many years but when I turned 15, got my driver's license, and was driving my parents Geo Metro around I decided that I really needed something...anything better than a GEO Metro! I wanted a truck considering I lived in a country town. I had spent countless hours thumbing through the classifieds until I realized that we already had a truck buried in weeds and sagebrush in our back field. We towed it up to the house and relieved it of its enormous pile of scrap metal and other objects that had been thrown into the bed. It took awhile to get it to keep running and replace many of the parts that that had long since died. I had received a free set of chrome wheels from a neighbor and got a set of 33" tires for my 16th birthday it was looking pretty cool. Me and a friend sandblasted most of the rust but we didn't know how to do body work so we left the major cancer areas to be tackled later. I had sprayed primer on it but that is as far as it got. Then I moved away to college, met my wife, we now have a son, and the truck now sits back in my parents field. As soon as I graduate in about 2 years I am going to start back up on the truck. I have a friend that is giving to me for free and rebuilding a Ford 460 BB and I am going to use my left over money from college to remove the body down to the frame and update to an IFS system with air suspension all around and disc brakes on all four corners. The body will receive new steel replacements where it has been rotted through. Many custom mods will follow then will come 20 to 24 inch wheels(I haven't decided) that will be tucked into the wheel wells to allow the body to drop to the pavement. There will be many more custom mods that I am going to do as my budget will allow over the following years and hopefully I'll get on the cover of Truckin'  

Posted: 12/02/08
06:15 PM

That sounds really cool. Best of luck to you, and share some pics once you get started on it!  Smile  

tuckn22s tuckn22s
User | Posts: 115 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 12/03/08
12:21 PM

I still have my first truck it is a 96 S-10. I have built many trucks but I have always kept that one!! The day I bought it I went straight to my buddy's house because he had one of those brand new eBay accounts that very few people had haha (at the time eBay was crazy new!!) and ordered a roll pan and euro tails before I made it home with the truck..and the poor quality parts I bought that night and for the next few months are the reason I started The Custom Connection cause I figured if I was sick of cheap junk that didn’t fit right everyone else was too so I set out to create a company that provided top notch parts that where actually worth buying!! lol  
World Wide Air Suspension Store
CustomConnectionLLC.com
facebook.com/customconnection
twitter.com/bagitorelse
270-860-1103

hemihauler97 hemihauler97
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/29/09
08:10 AM

my first truck was a 1997 dodge 1500 v8 318. this has great power. I first put dual exhuast on it and it didnt take long to get pulled over for loud exhuast. i also have 15 inch chrome us wheels with yokohama rubber mounted on them. i still have this truck i used it for workin on the farm pullin wagons and little simple jobs  

JoanD JoanD
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/11
Posted: 08/30/11
05:42 AM

I saw my first truck in 1995 - when I started to work for one freight to Russia company. It was 1985 Chevrolet Silverado SWB...the awesomest pickup i ever had!