Ad Radar
Subscribe
Subscribe
> > > > >
How will Toyota Tundra fare with new Ram and F150?

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Balboa455 Balboa455
User | Posts: 194 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 01/22/08
12:06 PM

Barring a couple of embarrassing recalls, the Toyota Tundra had a phenomenal 2007. It won numerous awards (even one from Truckin') and almost managed to sell the 200,000 units Toyota set as a goal.

So how will the coming year treat the new model, what with a resurgent F-150 and Dodge Ram waiting in the wings. Will Toyota be able to keep momentum without continuing to spend huge amounts in marketing and incentives? What do you think about the coming truck war?

I think it will make the Coke/Pepsi cola war on the eighties look like kid stuff.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 01/22/08
02:07 PM

I think it's pretty clear the domestics aren't just going to roll over and let Toyota eat their lunch. I think both the F-150 and Ram will be strong sellers. The Ram has been and will continue to be a second-tier player (behind the F-150.) I'm not insulting Dodge, it's just a fact. The Ram has a much stronger and more loyal following among the 3/4 and 1-ton buyers, with the Cummins engine. But Ford and Chevy dominate the half-ton market.

What will be really interesting is to see how things play out once the half-ton diesels start becoming available. I think this could possibly change the equation, but I still think the domestics will continue to have the edge with truck sales.  

maxwell5 maxwell5
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/01/08
07:47 PM

It will be tough, example my daughter in laws dad in a died in the wool Ford man.

He would not even move her Toyota car, so he could get his truck out of the driveway and go to work.  She had to get up and move it, he would not drive a Toyota.

There are many guys out there like that, probably a higher percentage of parts made in US in the Toyota truck than in his Ford.

It will take a while and Toyota must get better gas mileage, what you can pull may not matter at $5 a gallon gas.

We will be looking for electric:
http://www.phoenixmotorcars.com/vehicles/index.php