Truckin Magazine
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Why are you a GMC guy?

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/24/06
03:58 AM

Why are you a GMC enthusiast and not Chevy? Or are you a Chevy guy too? What makes GMC special to you? Why do you think GMCs are better?  

sharpman77 sharpman77
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/01/06
09:39 AM

I am personally a GMC guy because I
have owned all the major brands and I tend to think the fit and finish of the GMC trucks to be the best. Chevy's are close, and yes, for a long time, they were the same, but still, get into an 85 chevy, and an 85 gmc, and you'll see that they are different. I know it's all a matter of opinion, and this is mine, thanks!  

Posted: 08/10/06
10:03 AM

You're not the only guy. My father-in-law has a Sierra, and he also thinks GMCs are a cut above Chevy. For a while, the Silverado was so freakin' ugly, that some people bought the Sierra just because of the styling. I know a friend of mine did.  

gmc350man gmc350man
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/27/07
12:23 PM

personally I am a GMC man  through and through. I have owned tuners (mazda rx7), toys ('69 baja bug), and oldschool trucks (slammed 73 stepside chevy) but I keep coming back to good ole GMC. my first pick up was a slightly lowered 91' gmc sonoma. I loved that *** thing. it had a bigger motor then its chevy counterpart, a 4.3 v6, and it drove like a no other. The only problem I ever experienced with it was I had to replace my throw out bearing. I currently own a 93' GMC sierra stepside. I believe 88-98 are some of the best yrs for Gm pick ups, especially 94-98. I had to go for the sierra because it just looks better. The grille looks much cleaner, the interior looks nicer, and the 350 motor can't be  beat. Its has over 200,000 miles and still can beat almost anything I decide to race. Gmc is just a cut above the rest!  

CodyKallis CodyKallis
Enthusiast | Posts: 533 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 05/09/07
10:31 PM

Its a well known fact that the Chevy is just a cheaper GMC.  Not to diss on chev, i love the bowtie too.  I've just always found a GMC when i was looking for a GM/Chev.  Besides who can hate on a GMC Grille stuffed full of chrome??  

terravast4 terravast4
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 09/13/07
09:02 PM

I am just a GM man. Ever since I sold My 68 nova I was lost. I spent a year building that car inside and out. Later on in life I got a job that required a truck but I still had the performance bug in me. I now have a 2005 sierra with a Magneson supercharger, 3/5 ground force lowering kit, Eaton posi-trac with 3.73 gears, Gibson headers blah blah blah..........385 hp and 415 lbs tq at the tires and still working on more. I think it really goes deeper than that. We are all just hot rodders...........who cares what we drive.  

Blacksheep2700 Blacksheep2700
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/17/07
10:26 PM

We've owned two chevy trucks and our 1991 GMC suburban has outlasted both of them. Its had a coulple of minor leaks, and a busted radiator. My dad bought the truck in 91 and I bought it from him a few years ago. It has over 220,000 miles on it, and its my only means of transportation, I drive it every day. The energizer bunny wishes it could be a GMC, The thing runs like a champ. We are working on it to make it show truck quality, funds are low but its a work in progress.  

Balboa455 Balboa455
User | Posts: 194 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 01/22/08
11:06 AM

GMC recently has truly broken out of the shadow of Chevy among people who want a truck or SUV but don't want it saddled with the Chevy "common man" image.

I recently heard GM is going to release the Holden Truck ute as a Pontiac. If it was a GMC, it would appeal to a wider range of people, I think. As a brand, it doesn't carry the baggage as being cheap like Saturn or a rental car like Pontiac.  

03:47 PM

Balboa, I just heard GM is going to unveil a 4-door version of the Ute at the NY show, and badge it as a GMC. I'm sure GMC wants to differentiate itself from Chevy, but volume economics dictate that many of the major components be shared, at least between the volume Silverado and Sierra, as well as the GMT-900 SUVs.  

silent_orchestra silent_orchestra
User | Posts: 59 | Joined: 01/08
04:24 PM

Honestly, I'm not a "ford guy" or a "chevy guy" or even a "GMC guy". I am a "What ever floats my boat guy. I buy, and like what ever floats my boat. And at the moment, my stable includes the likes of a, 1929 Ford Model A, 1960 Ford F100, 1980 Olds Cutlass, a 1994 Chevy 1500, and a 2000 Yukon Denali, plus the field of rusty crap out back, but that's for another day. I do lean more towards the GMC's than thier Chevy counter parts. The fit and finish is nicer, they look better, and plus you can't get a Silverado or Tahoe Denali. But then again I love my beat up old chevy to haul my prized engine collection from shop to shop. I would love to see GMC or Chevy come out with a Ute in the states, and call it an Elcamino or a Cabellero or something. But until that day I'll sit in the back of the shop and inhale the fumes coming from the can of brake clean. later!  

04:38 PM

Hey Silent! Just FYI, Chevy just announced they're going to offer the Denali powertrain in the '08 Tahoe: 6.2L with the six-speed tranny. Does that change your mind?  

Posted: 01/23/08
06:01 AM

nope, yukon is still sexier!  

Balboa455 Balboa455
User | Posts: 194 | Joined: 06/07
11:09 AM

I agree with Orchestra, the GMC Yukon Denali just looks better than the bog standard Tahoe. (Even without sniffing Brake Clean!) I know it now just has a few shiny add ons on the door handles etc. compared to the Tahoe. I do wish GM would have kept the GMC engine size difference in place. It helps upmarket the GMC brand.

Orchestra, I am fascinated by your vehicle collection. Take some photos and post em!  

09:06 PM

I agree with you on the engine deal, still though the GMCs are in a class of thier own, only to be outshined by their Escalade cousins. But I still am impressed with the bold looks of the Yukon, and Sierra. My favorite new truck at the moment is the Sierra Denali well aside from a Dodge equipped with a 6.7l and a 6spd. I'll get pics up when I get a chance to take some new ones, until then I'll just leave you in the dark. But for now I'll leave you with a quick story on some of the prized steads in the heard.

1. 1980 Olds Cutlass Supreme (my babie) Got her for christmas, my dad's worked on it since 1983 after the factory warranty ran out. Typical low mileage perfect little old lady car. V8, loaded. White, red interior, 65,000

2. 1960 Ford F100 (The Blue Turd) Got her at a farm, been road hard put up wet. Plans in the works of putting a 394 Olds in her. Until I finish the planning process she's runnin' the 223 and 4spd. Roughly 250,000 miles.

3. 1929 Model A Tudor Sedan, this is the latest vehicle added to the group. Plans on full traditional hot rod build, 303 olds rocket, hydromatic, to much to list, I have all the stuff, I just need alot of time and patience, right now she's on the back burner until I get something else done.

4. 1994 Chevy 1500, Started out as your typical stripped down 2wd Long Box, standard cab. In the process of replacing the 4.3l 4l60E combo, with a 425 Olds (starting to see a trend??) TH400 Tranny, 9 inch rear. Plans of escalade clip, fire engine red paint, tan leather interior, 20's, lowering kit. Should be done by spring, I need something to haul crap in.

There are also alot of other cars out back I'll just give you a small list of my favorites.

1938 Olds 4dr, straight 8. plans on full resto
1931 Ford Sports Coupe, stuck between ideas
1929 Ford A Pickup, dad's project, soon to get a 320ci Buick S8 in the near future.
1991 Ford F250 4x4, the muddin' truck.
1963 Olds 98 2 door, possible lowrider??

There are alot more, but this is all I'll bore you with today. I honestly have enough projects to last the rest of my life. My dad and I also collect antique JD Tracotors, and farm equipment. And I have a small collection of odd ball engines. I really need to find a cheaper hobby.  

Posted: 02/13/08
03:05 PM

As an interesting side-note, one of GMC's strongest markets is Southern California, a traditionally import-heavy market. What do you guys think accounts for this?  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last