Truckin Magazine
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

First Half-Ton Diesel: Chevy or Ford?

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 01/11/08
04:21 PM

Myself and a co-worker were having a discussion about who we thought would have the first half-ton diesel on sale. I said Chevy, he said Ford. What do you guys think?  

truckmod75 truckmod75
Moderator | Posts: 124 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 01/15/08
04:30 PM

Tough call. There have been rumors about the F-150 diesel for a long time, but then again GM is the only one so far to have show its half-ton diesel engine in public. I'm thinking GM might be first out.  

Balboa455 Balboa455
User | Posts: 194 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 01/23/08
11:28 AM

I hate to say this, but I think GM will be first on the market. Ford has the whole rollout of the 2009 F150 to get through first so I think the diesel option will be at least a year, more likely two after the '09's come online.

I also sort of hope Ford takes the time with getting this engine sorted properly. We don't want a repeat of the 6.0l super duty fiasco.  

06:43 PM

Yeah, to its credit, GM is the only one of the Big 3 to have publicly shown a light-duty turbodiesel (if you call the SEMA show public.) It was in a one-off Suburban, but it was there, and they even had the hood open! And they've revealed a lot of details about it subsequently. I would think if Ford and Dodge had an engine that far along in R&D, they would have shown it by now or revealed some details.  

silent_orchestra silent_orchestra
User | Posts: 59 | Joined: 01/08
08:36 PM

I think the 'good ol' boys' at shiv-a-lay will be the first with the 1/2 Ton diesel. Though I really wish Dodge would have been the first. I'm still trying to think what they'd use for an engine, maybe something comparable to a 5.9L?? Guess we'll have to see, in the all new big 3 light diesel race.  

Posted: 01/24/08
01:13 PM

Actually, Diesel Power had an interesting article on a sneak peek on some future Cummins powerplants, a 5.6L V8 and 4.2L V6 diesel. It's highly likely one or both of these engines may end up in a Ram, although nobody from either Chrysler or Cummins has decisively confirmed it.  

DuramaxBen DuramaxBen
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/29/08
10:17 AM

Interesting but GMs 4.5L Duramax will be the best out there more than likely.A 5.6L Cummins V8 you say hmm that would be interesting and a great comparison to see who has the best diesel V8.  
President of the Firepack. Hate me for my Actions not my BRAND CHOICE!
Proud owner of Cornwell Tools.

Christine5 Christine5
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/29/08
02:28 PM

I know that Im going to here it now but it wouldnt suprise me if Toyota out of the blue puts a imported diesel out by next year, in a small truck that will hit it Big in US.Toyota has a long history in smaller diesels and are used in most foriegn countrys.Im not saying this becaouse I have a Toyota,I have a jeep,Chrysler Town & country,ford exsplorer,Mitsubishi eclips and many other Toys.  
A real toy for big boys.I installed a 5.9-B Cummins, P-7100 inline stage one pump,  banks cooler,5in exh,removable air bags for towing, 1in body lift,2in hanger lift,2 12in elect fans, customized mounting,(eng mounts,intake piping,trans adapter etc) Runs on home made bio-fuel at 70 cents a Gal.

DuramaxBen DuramaxBen
Posted: 03/31/08
04:01 PM

Ah the HELL With TOYOTA! GM diesel or Cummins will do you just fine.  

Posted: 03/31/08
04:22 PM

Toyota has a 4.5L V8 diesel in some overseas markets that a lot of people think they're going to adapt for duty in the US market. Who knows. The new Tundra hasn't exactly been trouble-free. I think it's more likely Nissan will put a diesel in the Titan before Toyota will put one in the Tundra.  

Christine5 Christine5
Posted: 04/01/08
07:50 PM

you could be right esanchez.  
A real toy for big boys.I installed a 5.9-B Cummins, P-7100 inline stage one pump,  banks cooler,5in exh,removable air bags for towing, 1in body lift,2in hanger lift,2 12in elect fans, customized mounting,(eng mounts,intake piping,trans adapter etc) Runs on home made bio-fuel at 70 cents a Gal.

DuramaxBen DuramaxBen
Posted: 04/09/08
05:13 AM

Nobody wants a Toyota.I don't care how good they might be I will never drive one so long as GM is still around.Hell I'll drive a Ford before I go to a Toyota!  

Christine5 Christine5
Posted: 04/09/08
10:54 PM

Good for you Benny,what kind of truck do you own?Chevy Duromax?  

DuramaxBen DuramaxBen
Posted: 04/12/08
12:45 PM

Well a Chevy S10 is all I got for now.But I have driven an 03 Duramax stock and I loved the head snapping power!  

Christine5 Christine5
Posted: 04/12/08
09:39 PM

You have driven a duromax but never owned one and you are the no all based on that?You hate Toyota becaouse of what, you drove one but never owned one?Grow up Benny and own a few trucks before bashing older peaple that have owned several trucks of many makes.What Mods have you done with your s10?  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last