1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Power Parts for the 4.3 V6?

Mixtreme Mixtreme
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 12/23/06
09:42 PM

Hi all,

I want to do some work on my engine and I don't want to do a v-8 swap.
I want to stick with the 4.3, so my question is what is out there for the 4.3?

Thanks Pat  

Mixtreme Mixtreme
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 12/27/06
04:26 PM

Anyone?????  

sten sten
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/02/07
12:57 PM

Jeg's has a few parts for the 4.3. Cams, headers and intakes. I have a '95 s10 and I agree with you. I just want to keep the V6. Can't find affordable headers, though.  

Dealer Dealer
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/11/08
11:45 AM

I agree with both of you. I have a 1500 with a 262 and i put on a T.B.I. spacer, k&N aircharger and I would go with dual exhaust. I am trying to find a tuner chip right now though but not having any luck.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 04/11/08
04:39 PM

I think JET has a plug-in module for the 4.3, and Superchips has something, I think.

If you're really willing to dive in, Hot Rod did some stories on building up a Chevy V6. Check 'em out:

Chevy 4.3L 262ci V-6 - The 3/4 350

500hp From 270ci  

Dealer Dealer
Posted: 04/14/08
05:02 PM

thanks  

canadiver canadiver
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/09/08
07:21 PM

dealer.. any noticable difference with the t.b.i. spacer?  

ShAkEsVHO ShAkEsVHO
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 05/10/08
11:27 AM

I would not buy a tb spacer(no gain), take that money and put it toward a tune or headers  
ShAkEsVHO

SilveradoVHO.com
ShAkEsVHO

Wheat Wheat
Moderator | Posts: 431 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 05/13/08
03:19 PM

Add a supercharger and larger injectors then a tune. Don't waste your money on spacers that don't work. Headers won't increase hp either on there own.....  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 05/13/08
03:36 PM

Yeah, headers by themselves won't do much unless you have other work done. I remember when I put a header on my little 1.6L Nissan Sentra way back when that it totally killed my low-end torque. Not that the engine had much to begin with. You've got to look at the overall package, and tune/upgrade accordingly.  

Dealer Dealer
Posted: 02/03/09
07:28 AM

Yes ....not like it made my truck feel like it had a s/c or anything but you could feel it working off the line or on the go....easy way to gain some ft lb's. I got a dealer discount on my through my friend. Got the Helix Power Tower.  

Wheat Wheat
Moderator | Posts: 431 | Joined: 10/07
10:06 AM

Replacing your Fan Clutch with an Electric setup will help out in the power department and in the milage.  

02Silverado436 02Silverado436
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/09
01:08 PM

TBI spacer is only good if you plan on running a nitrous  setup as airraid ( I believe ) has them with a nitrous port other then that they are a useless paper weight. Far as headers depending on the of the veh ( mine is an 02 Silverado v6 ) There is only one company that makes headers ( JBA ) and they are shorties. Shorties yeild very little gains for the v6. Better off finding some one to fab up either mid length or long tube headers. Long tubes are best for making HP but you'll sacrifice hp and TQ down in the rpm range but will generate more in the mid to upper plus you'll have to relocate the cats and possibly extend the 02 wiring pending on how long the headers are. Mid length headers are best. They Loose no hp at the bottom but yeild good gains across the board. Again even with Mid length comes the possiblity of relocating the cats. No use on getting headers with out a good cat back. Cat backs can be made easily and very cheap. I'm running 2.50 true duals right out the back that I made in about 3 hours.
Everything totaled up to be 90 bucks  ( Exhaust pipes, hangers and so fourth.
CAI/INTAKES There are a few air intakes on the market for the 4.3 but very few yeild decent gains for the price. You can also fab up your own for very little money. I used plain exhaust pipe bent to specs, polished it and wrapped it in DEI heat wrap as it helps the under hood temps from heating up the intake.
MAF from JET are decent but do not need one if you just plan on running a few bolt ons.
Power programmers...Visit Jetchips.com they have many to choose from and can also program one to your specs. Hypertech also makes a good one that also corrects the speedo if you are running diffrent gears or bigger/smaller tires. I have heard good things about hypertech. If you want a really good tune check out Hptuners.com they are a bit more then others but have TONS more of play. But be careful if you are a novice at programming I would have some one else do it or just get a hand held one. I have seen dyno gains to the rear wheels with the Hypertech on a 2001 4.3 avg 11-16 at the wheels. 11hp was gained on a stock s10 16 was gained on a silverado with just an intake and exhaust.  Thats at the wheels to so not to bad.
Jet Underdrive pulleys are a good way to head 199.00 and can expect gains of 8-11hp. No other company makes underdrivers for the 4.3 that I know of. I'm a google *** and have tried to find some others for comparison but none found.
also There is a company out there that I just found the other day that makes an intake manifold spacer for the 4.3. What it does is pushes more air under the plenium and builds a slight bit more intake  manifold preasure and forces it right into the engine. I have not seen any dyno charts yet with this part but the manufacture says you can expect gains from 15-29hp depending on application and other mods not bad for 299.00.   The Manufacture is Street and Performance VMAX intake manifold spacer. Google it as there are others out there that might be slightly cheaper. Some on ebay are going for 269.00.
Camshaft--I'm running the stock cam for now might plan on upgrading later.

Thats about where the bolt ones stop for the 4.3's all those mods and you might make it to 260hp ( at the crank ) which is a little more then the 5.3. Add up the cost of all the parts and labor if used and you probly just tapped out as much as it would cost to do a 5.3 swap.  
But if you are just building as you go then no reason to do a swap. I plan on keeping my v6 inside the truck just because I'm to lazy to do a swap lol.

At the moment I am fabing up a rear mount turbo system for my 4.3. Visit STSturbosystems website for more info. As they do not offer a turbo system for the 4.3 silvys or s10's you can buy their universal system stages 1-3 and go that route or you can fab one up yourself.
Fabing one up yourself is not a bad Idea and going rear mount is WAY cheaper and easier. It eliminates your need for a custome made turbo manifold as no one offers one out there for the 4.3.
On 4.3s pending on year they have around 9:2 to 9:6 compression. My silvy has 9:2 and can safely run 8psi. Plus going rear mount there is pretty much no turbo lag what so ever and boost spools up pretty much as you get on the gas. Do TONS of reasearch before just throwing on a tubo. The engine was not built for boost so a really good tune and upgrade in the Fuel managment area will need to be had.

Hope this helps some what on bolt ons for the 4.3 V6's. I did not list anything about nitrous just because alot of people do not run nitrous.
But the 4.3's pending on mileage and engine condition can handle 75-100 shots and do not go dry. Wet systems are best as they properly mix gas/nitrous together. Anyone have any questions let me know.  

JJR2112 JJR2112
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/14/12
06:50 PM

im looking to make some more power out of my 4,3 sonoma i only have a budget of 500 any ideas?  

chevyman2000 chevyman2000
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/10/12
07:29 PM

i have a 2000 chevy that i made a cold air intake for wich i have around 5 dollars in then i put a dual catback flowmaster i built myself for 80 bucks a hypertech tuner and went from 16 miles to gallon to 20 and from no power to lighting up the tires i am exstreamly happy with the results next move is to cut the defusser plate off throtal body to get some more low end i would love to rebuild it and put a universal  turbo on it but just cant spend 4 grand at this point but for what i got in the truck it is very supprising most people make me pop the hood and proove i have a 4.3 they dont beleave that i am getting that much out of a stock 4.3!!!!!! try some of these things and you be supprised i have a fourwheel drive full size truck so if you do the same in a little sonoma you will be extreamly happy with it and the most expensive thing is the 500 dollar hypertech tunner!!!! the cold air intake is made out of the stock intake box with a k and n filter and a hole cut in the bottom of box and a 6 inch dryer hose routed to get cold air and clean air along with being hidden so no one even knows it is there!!! try this stuff cheap and works!!!!!!  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last