Full Length Sun Roofs in vans

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Full Length Sun Roofs in vans

silent_orchestra silent_orchestra
User | Posts: 59 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 06/15/08
03:17 PM

I have a '73 Dodge Van, and have plans of putting a full length sun roof in it. I was wondering if any of you had pictures or anything. My dodge had gone through some one trying to put a Vista Cruiser top on it, but it failed misserably, and the only way to fix the roof now is to cut it out and put a new one on, or go the sun roof route. I'd appreciate your input and help.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 06/17/08
10:35 AM

I think you might actually be better off doing twin sunroofs (front & rear). Were you thinking of a ragtop or glass slider?  

silent_orchestra silent_orchestra
User | Posts: 59 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 06/18/08
07:17 PM

Glass Slider, similar to the ones on the new pontiacs, either that or just one full sheet of glass or plexi, with a sliding cover on the inside. I like the twin sun roofs though, two bigger ones, and you would still keep some metal up on top for a little extra strength...Wow thanks sanchez you just solved my roof delima!! now I just to need to figure out what to use for sunroofs.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 06/20/08
05:49 PM

I'd say a good first place to look is C.R. Laurence. They make a ton of sunroof, slider, glass and other supplies like that. Also Webasto makes really nice sunroofs.

Hope this helps.  

MatMobile MatMobile
User | Posts: 116 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 06/26/08
09:05 PM

That's too bad the Vista sunroof didn't work out. Those are so cool!

There was a post on Vannin.com about a guy who was restoring a van he helped build in the 70's. The roof was completely rotted out because they had installed a vinyl roof (moisture trap!) which was all the rage at the time. So he's going to replace it. I'm no Dodge expert but they were discussing the fact that these roofs have barely changed.

So, if you need to put a new roof on, unless you want the exact same thing, you will have no trouble finding one. Installing it is another story...

Good luck with your project. Please post pics if you can!  
----- Mathieu -----
MatMobile
"Electric Avenue", my '79 Ford.

coadyvisionstudios coadyvisionstudios
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/11
Posted: 09/29/11
01:42 PM

We are KGS Construction. We are a Northern Virginia company based out of Manassas. We provide a wide range of services including: roofing manassas, waterproofing manassas, sealant replacement, leaking roof manassas and roof repair manassas, concrete and masonry repair, and general contracting. We pride ourselves on providing superb craftsmanship and work, and because of that we are highly regarded as the preeminent commercial construction manassas company in Northern Virginia.  Let us help you out with your roofing repair manassas.Check us out at http://www.kgsconstruction.com/