Item Posts    Sort Order

Building the fuel injected 357ci

04SilveradoMykk 04SilveradoMykk
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/17/08
08:11 AM

Hello Everyone,

Huge fan of the magazine.

I would like to share the build up of a S.B.C that will soon be replacing the 4.3L v6 in my truck.

What I started with: freshly rebuilt / freshly blown up  86-95 TBI 350. Four bolt main, one piece rear, roller cam block

Engine001

Cyl # 5 had an exploded piston and did minor scuffing to cylinder wall.

Cyl5

Piston5

I also had a pair of 906 Vortec heads & L31 fuel injection

Truck029

The block was honed to new H345NCP-40 pistons and the ring scuff turned out.

Engineblock

I had also acquired a forged crank & rods from a ZZ4 crate engine that someone turned into a 383. I had the rotating assembly balanced to a new flexplate & dampener

Rotating

The valvetrain is a GMPP LT4 Hot Cam, Proform 1.6 ratio roller rockers, Comp Beehive springs-retainers-locks & Comp cams Hi-Tech pushrods, GMPP roller lifters-retainers-cage and a summit quiet geardrive

Cam

Rockers 1

in order to accomodate the geardrive, the CKPS reluctor wheel needed to get spaced away from the crank gear. I used two modified valve spring shims cut for the crank keyway.

Frontiming

I also re-inforced the plastic vortec timing cover with a piece of tin.

Geardrive 2

drilled the vortec heads pushrod holes out to 1/2" to accomodate the 1.6 RRs

Headwork

Heads

Gasket matched the intake manifold & heads, ported the vortec upper plenum to match the 74mm CFM-tech throttlebody

Gasketmatch 1

Gasketmatch

Cleaned up the rough casting in the exhaust ports, as well as bowl hawged the intake & exhaust ports

Exhaustport

with the H345NCP-40 pistons at TDC they sit .004" in the hole. With felpro 7733pt head gaskets (.039" thick compressed) I'll have a quench height of .043" and a static compression ratio of 10.13-1

Inthehole

And there it is, the fuel injected 357ci

Waterpump

I have also, Hooker Headers 2362 long tubes, Dacco 3000 stall locking torque converter for the 4L60E trans... and best of all, the majority of the performance parts already on the 4.3L will bolt up to this engine.. with some persuasion.

Here is the truck I built this engine for... my daily driven, 2004 W/T Regular Cab Short Bed, Silverado...

Truck2 1

Truck1 1

Garagetwo

Collegetwo

So, now your asking yourself... how will I get a SBC  to bolt in a GMT800 chassis that never had that engine.

Simple, I'll use SBC to LSx adapter plates & 4.8/5.3 motor mounts & frame mounts.

I have a complete take out L31 wiring harness, but only intend to graft the fuel injector harness onto the trucks current 4.3L wiring harness.

For the computer, I will use the trucks factory LS based flashable PCM. But will use HPTuners to flash a modified 2002 G-van 5.7L comp tune and do a few things like reduce knock sensor sensitivity.

Cheers ~Mykk  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 08/19/08
11:04 AM

Man, you're not messing around! That thing's going to be a real runner when you're done! I gotta ask, are you going to keep the "262" decals on the hood when you're done? That'd be a REAL sleeper!  Cool  Something tells me the sound will give it away, though.  

Brandan Brandan
User | Posts: 140 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 08/20/08
04:37 PM

Great job, that sounds like a fun ride! Good photos too.  
Feature Editor-Truckin' Magazine

Posted: 08/22/08
09:03 AM

Thanks guys.

I dream to one day, at the very least, get into the readers rides of one of the truckin' issues.

The engine is all wrapped up, and sitting on the sales floor of my parts store until I can reserve the weekend to do the swap.

Cheers ~Mykk  

09:22 AM

I think you have a chance of maybe doing even better than that! It's obvious you've put a lot of work and thought into this project! It's one thing to drop $5k with Stylin' Trucks (no disrespect intended) and just bolt on a bunch of crap, but it's another to actually rebuild an engine! We're with ya all the way. Keep us updated!  Smile  

10:28 AM

Thank you, those are some kind words.

Yea, ok you got me.... alot of stuff is bolt on, paint match type of stuff. But I did try to do some one off, simple fab type stuff.

Here's the motor on my sales floor.

Display

I have the weekend of Sept 13th set aside to get this project done. A freind in the area has a huge annual private hot rod party on Sept 20th of this year. And I would like to have this truck there in it's new V8 glory.

So I am just collecting all the little parts (brackets, mounts, wiring...etc) to make this swap clean, quick and painless as possible. Cheers ~Mykk  

12:47 PM

No shame in making it look nice!  Smile  I'm just saying you're going beyond just the cosmetic stuff, which is noteworthy and admirable. I'll bet you're going to have a blast in it when you're done!  

Posted: 08/25/08
05:30 PM

New hood vinyl, what?

Finished  

Posted: 08/26/08
04:43 PM

Oh well...so much for the sleeper idea. LOL. JK. Sweet! Well, at least the posers pulling up next to you at the stoplights will know what you're packin'!  Cool