Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1999 Dodge Ram V10

geoff426 geoff426
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/12/08
07:17 PM

Hi all-

I apologize if there is a search for this but apparently I am too stupid to find it.

Is there anyone out there who can talk to me about my truck?

Little about the truck, 85,000 miles. Automatic, 2500 4x4 regular cab w/8800 gvw.

My questions are:

1) why does my trans have trouble finding the correct gear between 30-40 mph. feels like it shifts in between 3rd and 4th.

2) is 6-8 miles to the gallon the best I can get or should I be looking into a tune up, o2 sensors, intake leak, any thing else?

3) the brakes suck. can't seem to keep the rears adjusted. is this normal, they feel soft i guess and seem to take a lot of foot pressure to get it to stop in a panic.

Thanks to anyone in advance who can help me.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 10/13/08
03:42 PM

Well, a simple transmission tune-up might help the shift issue. In terms of fuel economy, the V10s were never known for getting great mileage. You might be able to get another MPG or two, but you're never going to get in the 20s. In terms of the brakes, I'd have the system bled & re-filled, check condition of the pads & shoes. If the soft pedal continues to be a problem, I'd look into getting braided stainless lines. That should help with brake feel. If you're having a hard time keeping the correct setting on the rears, I'd have your proportioning valve looked at and/or replaced. Hope this helps.