Subscribe
Subscribe
> > > > >
1997 chevy s10 blazer dies while driving.

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

jsmith_2508 jsmith_2508
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 10/05/08
09:55 AM

My 1997 chevy blazer dies while driving or even stopped at a red light sittin there more then 3 minutes. So far this year ive replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter three times, oil of course, plugs and wires, air filter. I dont have a check engine light on. When it dies sometimes it will start right back up and i can continue on, other times i can get it started and the idle doesnt want to go up when i push the gas, it acts like its struggling for fuel. The oil pressure drops when it gets ready to die. If anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it im stumped and dont know what to do i dont want to take it to a shop cause i dont have hundreds of dollars for them to give me a diagnostic of whats wrong, or have them to fix either. Confused  

tricguy007 tricguy007
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 10/05/08
04:15 PM

just off the top of my head it may be your ignition module those will do that or a crank sensor  

Wheat Wheat
Moderator | Posts: 431 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/06/08
10:23 AM

Those years had Alot of injector issues, we call them Spider injectors because of how they are all one big unit. Start with checking the pulse of each injector.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
11:10 AM

Wheat, isn't there a conversion kit or a way to change over those engines from central-port injection to a conventional MPFI system?  

Wheat Wheat
Moderator | Posts: 431 | Joined: 10/07
04:00 PM

There sure is Ed, I'll see if I can round up the part numbers....  

Bossy70 Bossy70
User | Posts: 83 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 10/08/08
02:19 PM

It either has a problem with fuel or fire...

It maybe the ignition switch, ignition switch wiring connection, or key (lock) cylinder switch also.

You may need a E-4 / E-6 torx socket tool for upper column cover removal.  

2001 S10, Flamed, Bagged, Supercharged
For Sale: (912) 663-9791

Bossy70_Bossy70

Real Happyness is being Blown and Stroked at the Same Time!

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 10/08/08
03:06 PM

Possibly, but from the symptoms he's describing, it sounds more like a fuel system issue than ignition wiring, to me.  

Bossy70 Bossy70
User | Posts: 83 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 10/09/08
06:39 AM

Yeh...I know where you are coming from. The stumbling points to fuel big time.

The only reason I mentioned those electrical components is because I saw the same stalling (while idle or while moving) problem on a blazer I was working on for someone.  

2001 S10, Flamed, Bagged, Supercharged
For Sale: (912) 663-9791

Bossy70_Bossy70

Real Happyness is being Blown and Stroked at the Same Time!

NM_rustbucket NM_rustbucket
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/09/08
08:21 AM

A good friend of mine has a Blazer same type as yours. We solved a similar problem on his by checking the TPS throttle position sensor. His TPS was essentially erratic and would not stay broken for his mechanic to find it. I was teaching automotive electronics at a Junior College at the time and he brought it to my class. We retrieved a code as I recall which pointed to the TPS. You might be setting a code without the dash light comming on, so get Autozone or other place to check your codes anyway. Its free and you may learn something while doing this. With all the parts you have replaced your engine should be happy once you fix the existing problem.

One thing for future reference though. We taught the automotive students one golden rule. Don't replace a part until you can confirm it is bad or erratic. Naturally expendable parts that usually need replacement anyway are exempt from that advice.

Now, if you could advise me on fixing a broken stud in my exhaust manifold Grin

Hope this helps  

up and running up and running
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/14
Posted: 05/14/14
07:21 PM

hi my wife blazer would do the same thing wait awhile and starts back up even cut off while driving on highway changed fuel pump and filter same thing traced it to the wiring harness to fuel injector every time it does it i move the wire and it starts to test it i drove it till wouldnt start then moved plug didnt start moved again didnt start moved again started after started moved wire again cut off answer solved wire makes contact and breaks from heat on engine always starts cold only cuts off after driving awhile wires broken inside insulation