1985 chevy silverado 1/2 ton

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1985 chevy silverado 1/2 ton

justin1985 justin1985
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/28/09
09:16 PM

looking into buying a 1985 chevy silverado with a 305 motor rebuilt with 87,000 miles on is there anything specific i should be looking for mechanical or structural with this truck/engine? any information would be greatly appreciated i am paying 2500 for this truck i was wondering what a stock 85 silverado with the 305 would be worth? body is pretty clean interior is so/so  

oldcoger oldcoger
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 03/02/09
08:11 AM

When it comes to trucks, specifically old ones that aren't classic/restoration 20+ years old, just seller selling, price is usally based on if you want to pay the asking price.  I bought a white 85 1/2 ton silverado 350 4bbl auto with 115K miles from my supervisor who bought it new while in the USAF.  I watch him drive it to works (I been employed here for over 13 years) until he bought a new GMC months ago.  Joking with him i was looking for a truck to haul things you need at home, fridges, landscaping bricks, furniture and not want to pay stores to deliver I ask if he would sell it to me.  He ask what i would give him and I look at KBB, edmund.com those pubs stated no more than $2000 on the MS gulf coast.  This truck is a one owner, interior cleans as day one, no children rode in it or smoker and body no dents paint excellent all electrical work and had new tires and service yearly with proof.  I told him I would give now $1500 he said no and months later changed his mind; today its mine.  Could he got more sure but the asking price is always do you want to pay that much.I'm still driving it stock with the exception of flowmaster exhaust and pioneer cd player.  Looks like truck on cover of LMC truck CC 52 cover without nerf bars.  As for what you should be looking for can you drive it for a while as is with certainty. will he take less than asking price, why rebuilt engine and how long ago. Everything negotioable. What is going rate for same type truck in your area? This will help on if the price is fair. Some say I got lucky, I said I didn't need a truck wanted one which made buying one easier because I was willing to wait on me a deal.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 03/02/09
03:28 PM

Interior is pretty easy to fix. Main thing you want to make sure is the frame is straight, and there's not a lot of rust on it. As long as the engine has been pretty well-maintained, 87k miles isn't that much.