Truckin Magazine
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Should Chevy Make an HHR SS Panel?

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 08/28/07
10:10 AM

Hi Guys! It seems there's a lot of interest in the Chevy HHR among van guys (even though it's not a van.) What I'm curious about is how many of you would like to see Chevy offer a factory HHR SS panel. Chevy's already announced the SS for '08, should they offer the SS in the panel configuration too? Inquiring minds want to know!  

Superbeast Superbeast
User | Posts: 199 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/29/07
05:02 AM

I'm not a Chevy guy, but performance vehicles are always a plus for the young and young at heart. I say yes they should make it.  
Superbeast

55Guy 55Guy
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 08/29/07
12:56 PM

I may offend a few people here, but unless it's gonna have an LS motor up front, the SS badge being on the HHR is an absolute crime, and anyone putting one on a regular HHR should be shot!  Mad

The best quote I've heard about the HHR:

"Leave it to GM to take the PT Cruiser and make it even more boring"

And I'm a diehard Chevy guy, so I have some right in making this statement.  

Superbeast Superbeast
User | Posts: 199 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/30/07
07:15 AM

I totally agree with you. The SS badge as well as the R/T for Dodge, better have some extra ponies to back the badge up.

I'm not really a fan of the HHR, but the panel is pretty cool. My issue is I don't like windows  Grin  
Superbeast

matchstickBGV matchstickBGV
New User | Posts: 48 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 03/07/09
09:01 PM

I think I remember reading about the hhr SS and it has a turbo or something of that nature. Still was pretty weak for the extra money.  I think an SS HHR PANEL would have to be pretty loaded. a real tire scorcher or a body effects package better than a rear spoiler.  

Posted: 03/09/09
10:49 AM

Well, Chevy made good and built an SS panel. Stock HP is 260, and with a new GMPP upgrade kit, you can tune the SS for 290 horsepower and 315 lb./ft. of torque. Not too shabby for 122 cubic inches!  Smile  

Posted: 05/06/09
03:20 PM

Not too shabby really. kind of a weird vehicle to build an SS of considering the fact that not a lot of people besides commercial customers and vanners are probably into it. Maybe some panel owners here and there too. I'm all for it though.  

03:52 PM

Seems like it would make a great little shop truck for a hot rod shop, or a do a wrap on it for a tattoo parlor or something like that.  

Snotty Snotty
User | Posts: 94 | Joined: 07/06
04:48 PM

Well I never noticed this thread before... I'v been an HHR Panel owner since March of 08... at that time there was just talk of the SS version... I LOVE my HHR Panel butt I'm sure I would love it even more if it were an SS... I drove the SS HHR NOT panel and WOW that Turbo kicks some serious ass!!!  after I had mine a few month I heard that they were indeed makin the panel SS in 09!   O well maybe in a few years i'll trade up butt for now I love what I got... Its probably the best daily driver I ever had put over 18K on it in the first year of ownership... and even with the 2.4 not turbo charged it has PLENTY of get up n go... would easily out run my van with the 318 in it... LOL  

DSC01988

DSC01984

P1010025

P1010023 1

P1010030  

Posted: 05/07/09
01:40 PM

Have you guys seen the "half-panel" HHR? It has real rear doors with glass & everything, but the side glass over the cargo area is just sheetmetal. That's a pretty trick-looking little ride, too.

2008 Los Angeles Auto Show Chevy Hhr Ss Rear Panel  

Posted: 05/07/09
08:41 PM

yeah I saw one of those in town. I'm not too crazy about a half panel. I think it should either be window or panel but hey if it sells more then all right. I wouldn't say no if someone gave me one. I'd say thanks and drive it like I stole it!  

Showvans1 Showvans1
User | Posts: 143 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 05/08/09
08:56 AM

I've liked the HHR from day 1 amd even had GM Canada contact me to line up a 50's Suburban for a photo shoot when it was first launched up here in Canada. The HHR showed a lot of promise especially when GM offered up 4 of them to customizers to do up on the RIDES television show and to use as promotional vehicles. I saw the PTeazer Nascar themed HHR that they turned into a panel at the Detroit Autoshow a few years ago. After that GM seemed to drop the ball on them. At the Detroit Autorama of the 800 custom vehicles, not one HHR or HHR panel was among them. GM did not bring an HHR panel to the 2009 Toronto new car show either or even a split window version like the one Ed posted. There is a small window of opportunity to play with and GM blew it. Maybe once they pare down their operation and make it more manageable they can do the right thing.
Here's a shot of 8 custom HHR panels at the 2008 National Truck-In that Snotty our resident HHR afficianado in the van world shot:
DSC00978  
Vannin.com staff, showtrux.com/paneltruck.com webmaster
Member Van Azur, ACVQ, OFV, National Truck-In Board support staff and occasional contributor to this fine magazine going back to 1982.

Snotty Snotty
User | Posts: 94 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 05/08/09
02:54 PM

Yea and aint that something,my HHR Panel is on the OTHER end in this pic, on the right side of the pic you can see a glimst of my Sunburst Orange Metalic thru the winder of one of the others! LOL  

phrog7 phrog7
New User | Posts: 27 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 05/10/09
08:46 PM

Ed, HHr panels are accepted in almost all van events even the Van Nationals.. Most local and regional events also accept the window and the half panel but for Nats it has to be the full panel version....and if you know vanners the "SS" will be awaited with baited breath!!!! If we don't make our own version first, look at the fact that most vanners with HHR panels now have back seats installed where the storage box was.....I hear its now an option for 2009 Smile  

Posted: 05/13/09
04:15 PM

Unfortunately, it looks like the HHR SS panel is history for 2010. They're still offering it on the LS and LT trim levels, but no more hot rod panel.  Frown  Bummer. Get one while you can!  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last