New 1990 1500 extenda cab short bed Ideas

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

New 1990 1500 extenda cab short bed Ideas

SlvrSS SlvrSS
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/26/09
11:00 AM

Hey everyone i just bought a 90 1500 it'll be here tomorrow heres the photos from the seller but ill get new ones tomorrow
12065326140264155219Im1main240x180
12065326141264155219Im102565x421 A5
12065326142264155219Im103565x421 A5

The truck is in okay condition, the door handles have been shaved its been lowerd and has a set of rims on it. The interior is trashed so that will be  redone, the tailgate needs to be done as well as the roll panel fixed. For interior i want some ideas, there is no bench in the back but hes gonna give me the bench that was taken out, there are captain seats in the front from a suburban. I want to have either a a full console through out the truck or a half console with the bench in the back, my dad was suggesting captain seats in the back but i dont see how they will fit, i want a black interior with silver accents what do you guys think the price would be on the interior. Also what do you all think the price would be to overhall the dashboard, its kinda boxy.

I wann say the engine is a 327 small block but im not entirely sure, what would the price be on a supercharger?

Any other ideas for the slammed truck? ghost stripes, tv etc.

Thanks in advanced

Edit: forgot it has a flowmaster system on it, one entrance 2 exit, i like the exhaust that comes out the side, estimate on that?  

CodyKallis CodyKallis
Enthusiast | Posts: 533 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 06/29/09
12:52 AM

you can drop insane amounts of money on the dashboard if you really get into it, it depends on what you are looking for, could be anywhere from $1000 to smooth paint and billet the dash to $3000 to build a complete custom with dakota gauges and the whole 9's.  if you are looking for more seating the 4 bucket seats with a full length center console is really sick.  you could also build a huge sub box with 4 12's to hammer your eardrums if you're into that kind of thing.  most likely you have a 350 or maybe a 305 for that year of truck.  hard to say but again it is most likely TBI (throttle body injection) whatever you decide you have a nice start to your new project have fun and don't be afraid to try something new!  

SlvrSS SlvrSS
07:00 AM

Its actually a 327 and yea its tbi , the engine only has 25k miles on it the chassis has 118k. I got new pics that arent crap quality and a design for the console ill upload them in a bit.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
10:16 AM

If it's a factory engine, it would either be a 305 (5.0) or 350 (5.7). GM didn't offer a factory "327" (I think it's actually a 325 (5.3) until '99.

Engine-wise, any of the GM small-blocks (whether Gen I, II, III or IV) have TONS of aftermarket parts available, so it shouldn't be hard to get more power out of it, one way or another.

One thought for the dash is to swap in a '95-'98 style dashboard, you know...the more rounded style. I believe the dashboard core support is different, but should be a doable project. Cody/George, have any experience doing this?  

CodyKallis CodyKallis
Enthusiast | Posts: 533 | Joined: 04/07
01:12 PM

i dont have any experience swaping the dash for a newer gen model. personally if i was going to go through all that trouble i would build a nice one off "less is more" dash.  I think the main area for concern is the wiring for the newer style electronics.  If you decided to build a custom dash you could get some nice dakota digital gauges and keep all your factory wiring its a personal preference thing though.  Assuming that money is not an issue (which for me it is) my dream dash would be smoothed painted with a dvd monitor in the center of the dash with empire motor sports billet vents and a full length center console packed with subs that molds seemlessly into the dash. with of course your head unit and ac controls etc.  Im not trying to knock the '98 dash swap but it is getting to be dime a dozen but it is a really sick update for your truck.  What i would really love to see is the 99+ dash in a truck this style but again you are looking at a lot of work.  I recommend going through your old issues of truckin' or looking at the feature trucks that are the 88-98 style and pick pieces of all your favourite dash/interiors and go from there.  Sorry for the long winded reply but i hope it helps a bit.  

SlvrSS SlvrSS
04:49 PM

Its not a factory engine it was changed out at 160k miles so the engine has around 20k miles on it. And thanks for all the ideas i have more pics here and im gonna scan in my rough draft idea for the center console, but im thinking , in the console, having tweeters by each seat, a sub intergrated in the back along the bed wall, 2 tv's hidden amp. Im not looking to show off my speakers etc i want you to get in the truck and not expect it till your ear drums pop. and yes money is an issue with school etc.But i already have a sub from my previous car that blew its engine (95 mitsu eclipse gsw)  i got 2 amps sitting around  and one tv, so all im looking to buy right now is some more speakers.
Oh from the pictures here it seems to me its a camaro ss tips, you think it would sound better with an open style tip?
CIMG1478
CIMG1475
CIMG1476
CIMG1474
CIMG1473
I dont know if anyone notices but theres nothing conencted to the smog port lol, lucky i live in Florida , and the clamp for the air thing is empty Smile
CIMG1472
CIMG1479
CIMG1482

Also I was making sure the lowering was done right and its  4/6 and it is C Notched  

SlvrSS SlvrSS
04:50 PM

And no I Didnt do the shoty Bondo in the back, lol ittl be re done

Edit: Wow looking at the picture of the undercarriage of the exhaust i noticed something I hadnt till now...thers neons on this truck Cool  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
05:04 PM

Engine looks like a TBI Gen II small block. Most likely a 350. Plenty of things you could do performance-wise if it's in good shape otherwise.