senior project engine swap... need info

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

senior project engine swap... need info

chevyrunner chevyrunner
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/19/10
10:32 AM

My dad has a dodge dakota not sure of year i'll post that later today. I want to rebuild a dodge muscle car motor (charger, challenger, dart) and swap it. my question is how much trouble would it be and what would be the best to increase proformance but not completly rob him of mpg's? Or would it not even be worth it? Confused Oh and what transmission could i put in it?  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 03/19/10
11:46 AM

Actually, if you want to give him power but still good fuel economy, I'd go with a newer-model fuel-injected engine, such as the 5.7 Hemi. It'll be a little more expensive than getting an old, carbureted salvage-yard motor, but will be well worth it in the long run. Actually, since that engine's been out since 2003, there's a chance you'd be able to find a few in salvage yards. Hot Rod had a good article on swapping a Hemi into an older musclecar that might have some good tips for you. You can get a 5.7 Hemi crate motor either fuel-injected or carbureted, but in terms of drivability and fuel economy, I'd probably go with injected, unless you're specifically going for an "old-school" musclecar theme.  

In terms of transmission, probably the easiest swap would be to get a 5.7 Hemi and 545RFE transmission together. It depends on if you want a manual transmission or an automatic. If you're looking for easier, I think getting the engine and trans together is the way to go. Hope this helps.  

chevyrunner chevyrunner
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/21/10
09:09 AM

its a 2003 if that matters and i would like to keep it a MT so that i dont have to rip out the clutch and stick shift  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 03/22/10
03:22 PM

That may make things a little more complex, if you're going with a newer-model engine, but for an older engine, it shouldn't matter that much. Keep us posted!