Question on intake for 01 Tahoe 5.3 PLEASE HELP

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Question on intake for 01 Tahoe 5.3 PLEASE HELP

robert1208 robert1208
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/12/10
10:50 AM

Hi I have a 01 Tahoe 5.3, and i wanted to put a cold air intake on.  My buddy has a 05 Silverado 5.3, and wants to sell me his AEM brute force cold air intake to me for a good price.  Will that fit my truck????  Please help me cuz he has to mail it to me for across the country but i want to know that its compatible first.      Confused  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 04/12/10
12:33 PM

Hi Robert. Unfortunately, there's not an easy way to tell if it's compatible or not. Even though the 5.3 engine has been in production for quite a while now, there have been multiple versions of that engine. Some with an iron block, some with an aluminum block, some with drive-by-wire throttle, and some with a cable throttle. I'd say the best thing you could do is check on the AEM website and see if there are any fitment notes on there regarding specific model-year compatibility. That's probably your best bet.  

DanWard-Editor DanWard-Editor
Moderator | Posts: 183 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 04/13/10
10:38 AM

Robert-
You came to the right place buddy.
Yes, the AEM intake off of your buddy's '05 Silverado will fit your Tahoe.
Don't worry about Ed's comment above, he drives a Mazda station wagon.
The part # is 21-8000 for that intake and we've installed them on several trucks and they work well and look great.
Happy horsepower hunting-
-Dan  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 04/13/10
03:26 PM

Hey Dan! Why the hate? Only reason I threw that caveat in there is I've seen plenty of instances where an aftermarket part you'd think would be totally interchangeable actually won't fit on something only one model year different. Of course, that experience comes from being around German cars, which are notorious for changing things around constantly. I know GM tends to be a lot more consistent with things (heck, when is the 4.3 V6 going to be replaced?) but you can't always assume that.  

hdman hdman
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 05/09/10
12:01 PM

I just bought an 07 Tahoe and I'm putting a LS3 480hp in place of the 5.3. I suggest that and forget the new intake. Smile