dashboard painting

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

dashboard painting

mitchell92288 mitchell92288
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/05/10
12:41 PM

hey guys   i've takin out the dashboard on my 2001 silverado and i'm about to paint it. i was wondering how people go about painting the dashes with that really shine paint like in custom show trucks?  thanks james  

CodyKallis CodyKallis
Enthusiast | Posts: 533 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 03/05/10
03:06 PM

Sand, prime, paint, clear, polish. Wink  

mitchell92288 mitchell92288
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/06/10
08:10 AM

thanks, but i'm worried about the heat/sun makeing it crack, fade, and peel. Is there any special paint and anything special i need to do to prevent this from happening    thanks guys  

CodyKallis CodyKallis
Enthusiast | Posts: 533 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 03/06/10
07:24 PM

Not that I am aware of.  It shouldn't be any different than the outside of your truck.  

GTluvr GTluvr
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 03/14/10
11:01 AM

In most cases, they'll use the same type of paint that the auto body shops use. First of all it matches the paint scheme and it standsup well to UV fade, spills and general misuse. Many of the bigger brands do sell smaller quantities. I think quarts is the smallest size, but in the old days, they used to be available in pints, which saved money and the space of storing excess paint. Lots of auto parts stores now sell Duplicolor paints, which are lacquers. They aren't as durable as urethanes, but also less toxic, so wearing those space suits isn't necessary, a good respirator will suffice. The main thing is the prep work. Follow the directions and you should be in good shape.

GT  

Brandan Brandan
User | Posts: 140 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 04/06/10
03:35 PM

Again, I've got to agree with Cody here, but he did skip one step that many paint shops include, an adhesion promoter like Bulldog. It's not necessary, but it does help bind the primer to the plastic.  
Feature Editor-Truckin' Magazine

Dashcoverman Dashcoverman
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 05/15/10
05:56 PM

Well at least you have an option. Visit www.txdashcovers.com for a selection of over 250 dash covers if you mess up your original dash cover. These are not OEM Dashboards, but they look and feel like original covers. Easy to install  

redneckrocket38_. redneckrocket38_.
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 08/02/10
02:41 PM

I did some interior parts on my ram and used the BULLDOG adhesion promoter. That stuff will make paint stick to nearly anything. You may have to do some searching to find it though. Like stated before the prep is the most important part, just keep it CLEAN.