Ad Radar
Subscribe
Subscribe
> > > > >
What does it take to get more vans in Truckin?

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

vanmachineman vanmachineman
User | Posts: 93 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 05/08/10
04:49 AM

I Went Looking for the New Truckin Magazine Publication and Wanted to Read some stories on Vanning,vans,or vanners,Something that I'm interested in reading and I really didn't see nothing,so I was kinda disappointed since I've been telling everyone in the area that truckin is Showing vans again.Yes They were excited they remember the vans in the day and that was the in thing.
I'm speaking for many of us that don't go online.We really would like to have some kind of reading about the vans of today,as well of the vans of yesterday.  
Van Promoter & Representative

Info On future East coast events
www.newenglandvancouncil

www.showvans.com

www.vannin.com

CodyKallis CodyKallis
Enthusiast | Posts: 533 | Joined: 04/07
11:26 AM

Blackmail Dan Ward.  

IMVANISHINGBREED IMVANISHINGBREED
Moderator | Posts: 365 | Joined: 08/07
05:58 PM

Yeah Dan doesn't care much for vans but it is not all his fault. Vanners have pretty much deserted Truckin and seldom even visit this site anymore. It is more vanner apathy than anything else. Right now it is evant season and most vanners are thinking more about partying at an evant then getting a van into Truckin. There are very few of us van promoters these days and it shows here on these forums.  Don't expect to see vans in the mag till all vanners become promoters. Most vanners today support vanning by going to eVants but it stops there. Promoting takes time and effort that most don't want to spend.  
Mike Cook
Vice President
Inland Vans Berdoo
2008 Route 66 Hall of Fame Inductee

Showvans1 Showvans1
User | Posts: 143 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 05/11/10
04:02 AM

Don't give up, I never did. I've been working with Truckin' to get vans into the magazine since 1981. Not sure how much progress we'll make in 2010 but I do have high hopes for 2011. In Feb 2011 the annual CofC van convention will be in Buena Park California. I hope that we can get Dan, Bob and other Truckin' staffers to come to that event and meet up with the vanners. It's up to us to make them feel welcome and give them the best van show possible while we're there. They are building and rebuilding some wicked feature worthy vans in SoCal right now that will be there.
In the meantime keep posting on the forums here and keep sending in pictures of your vans. I'll be submitting my coverage of Vanfest (although someone from Truckin' might be coming ...) and the Van Nationals which were both featured in Truckin' web exclusives in 2009 which is very much appreciated.
Keep the faith and keep on vannin' !  
Vannin.com staff, showtrux.com/paneltruck.com webmaster
Member Van Azur, ACVQ, OFV, National Truck-In Board support staff and occasional contributor to this fine magazine going back to 1982.

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
10:29 AM

FWIW, I've been a big advocate for vans since I've been on staff here, even when people thought I was crazy. All I can say is make your voices heard, and for the issues that feature vans, buy them up, and encourage all your friends to! Sales numbers for issues are tracked carefully. Even though the sales results for a particular issue may not be reported until several months afterward.

However, usually, the correlation is between the cover artwork and vehicle, and how well a particular issue sells. To be perfectly honest, I think it would be a long-shot that a van is ever put on the cover. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would have to be an exceptionally clean and original van. Ultimately, it would be Dan's decision.  

IMVANISHINGBREED IMVANISHINGBREED
Moderator | Posts: 365 | Joined: 08/07
04:12 PM

Bob Ryder likes vans too but like you said Dan is the man and I know he doesn't like them.  
Mike Cook
Vice President
Inland Vans Berdoo
2008 Route 66 Hall of Fame Inductee

DanWard-Editor DanWard-Editor
Moderator | Posts: 183 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 05/13/10
01:06 PM

Wow, somehow I got a bad rap.
"I know Dan doesn't like vans"
Says ***
I drove five hours to shoot the red flamed Chevy van last year for a feature in issue 8 of last year. Why would I do that if I didn't like vans? It was beautiful, airbagged, nice chrome wheels, a tasteful hot-rod interior, and it looked sick!
I worked for 3 months with Don Noone (the owner) to get Pirates of the Caravan featured in the magazine.
Why would I do that if I didn't like vans?
His van had an incredible paintjob, nice wheels, handcrafted interior, and was worthy of a feature spread.

What I, and most of our readers don't like, is vans that want to be featured that are stuck in the '60s and '70s. I've said this numerous times, but vans have to be updated. Whether it be new (larger) wheels and tires, fresh paint or new interiors, trends come and go and the van crowd needs to adapt and update.
In the next issue, we feature Tom Chronister’s Battlestar '77 Tradesman van.
Whereas it's cool, it hasn't changed much in the last 20+ years, but we're featuring it anyway.
See where this is going...

Every page in the magazine is precious and when vans start adding new style and trends of 2010, we'll be happy to feature them.

Also, van owners need to go to truck shows, when we travel and don't see any vans, we can't shoot the cool ones for features.

Yes, we have plans on going to the van nationals, so please don't write that we need to go where the vans are. Let's all work together on this.

Ed is right, we do watch the sales carefully and we haven't seen an increase in issues with vans, but we will continue to feature the ones that fit our magazine in 2010.

One last thing while I'm on my soapbox, please don't write my opinions for me, let me do that.
Thanks for reading and thanks for caring about what you love.  

vanmachineman vanmachineman
User | Posts: 93 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 06/06/10
03:06 PM

Yah Baby We Got some vans coming,can't wait to read something on vans,
Thanks again TRUCKIN

There are alot of vans being customized today Truckin needs to Follow one of these builds, and I know there are a couple vanners here who  can put you in the right direction and get photos in progress.Heck I'm waiting to here from you so I can Re-Do more 1976 Ford ""THE MACHINE""  
Van Promoter & Representative

Info On future East coast events
www.newenglandvancouncil

www.showvans.com

www.vannin.com

MatMobile MatMobile
User | Posts: 116 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 06/06/10
06:31 PM

I just found this post.

Thank you for voicing your opinion Dan. I appreciate that you stand by your opinions. Your editorials are always interesting.

Here's a nice contemporary van you should shoot:
2009 Vanfest Van Show Yellow Chevy Van

Vans are being updated but vanners do tend to be nostalgic. Kind of like "Rat Rodders" who try to be period correct.

I've been worried recently that Truckin' is trying to mold vanners into a certain direction. I have a feeling that you want, for example, body dropped vans on 26" wheels. And that aggravated me.

But now that I've had time to think about it. I understand that you want to be at the forefront of new trends. Like surfing, you want to be in front of the wave before it breaks and not behind (covering awful lambo doors... for example)!

Looking forward to meeting you at the Nats Dan!  
----- Mathieu -----
MatMobile
"Electric Avenue", my '79 Ford.