how small of wheels will fit?

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

how small of wheels will fit?

jrt2390 jrt2390
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 07/10/10
05:59 PM

my dodge came with the factory 17' 8 lug wheels. Can i run a 16 inch rim? also what would any down side to using a 16" instead of a 17 or 18?

i plan on lifting the truck as well so if that comes into play in anyway please hit me with some knowledge.  
"If I was worried about gas mileage, I would have bought a KIA"

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/12/10
12:59 PM

The main determining factor will be the size of your brakes, and how much clearance you have between the brake caliper and the inside diameter of the wheels. If you plan on lifting the truck then it's a high probability you will put bigger tires on it. I'm just curious as to why you're looking to go down a size with your wheels? There should be plenty of options in off-road tires in 17 inches.  

jrt2390 jrt2390
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 07/13/10
09:17 AM

well i guess the reason i am looking into possibly using a 16in wheel is because someone of the brands and styles that i like only offer limited sizes and also it seems pretty uniformed that when purchasing tires in larger sizes i.e. 35-38in that the prices vary depending on the wheel size and usually bump up the cost the larger the wheel diameter gets. I am also unsure about the concept of fitment when it comes to wheels sizes because i have been told that for instance if i wanted to run 37's, i would need a wheel that was 17X9 with a 5 inch backspace in order to avoid rubbing, so based off that it seemed to me that with a larger or wider wheel i would have to possibly use a smaller tire in order to avoid rubbing. I have been trying to search for basic FAQ information but i dont think i am very good at navigating this site becasue i cant seem to find the simple things that newer people like myself would be better off reading up on instead of posting "newbie" questionsSmile  
"If I was worried about gas mileage, I would have bought a KIA"

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/13/10
11:35 AM

Not at all. Proper aftermarket wheel & tire fitment is a surprisingly tricky science, especially for lifted trucks. I'd say if you can find a shop in your area that has a lot of experience in installing lift kits and upgraded wheels and tires, they'd probably have some good advice and experience in putting plus-size wheels and tires on your truck.  

CodyKallis CodyKallis
Enthusiast | Posts: 533 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 07/14/10
12:19 PM

The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.