1951 ford f100 V8 cost?

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1951 ford f100 V8 cost?

firstrestor firstrestor
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 07/30/10
08:35 AM

Thinking about taking on my restoration project with a 1951 ford F100, V8 100 HP.  It has all the original parts and 92k original miles.  Needs a lot of work it has sat in a barn covered since 1978.  The owner is ask $5,500 for it. It does not run and the wheels are locked.  Does anyone have an idea if this sale price is good or bad?  

CodyKallis CodyKallis
Enthusiast | Posts: 533 | Joined: 04/07
10:33 AM

Seems fairly high to me, the things I look for are the windows all intact?  What kind of shape is the wiring in?  Are the body panels all there, and what kind of shape are they in?  If you're going to be building it to drive you're probably going to change the front end to a Mustang II system and you'll want to change most of the front end anyways.  There is a lot to building a nice classic truck, you have to update the brakes, the rubber molding is more than likely dried out and needs replaced, there's a lot of little things that can nickel and dime a guy to death.  That's not even mentioning if you want to keep the motor in it or build one for it. Just food for thought.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
12:10 PM

Hmm...I'd just go with your gut on it. The main thing you want to look out for is if the body is fairly straight and rust-free. In terms of the drivetrain and engine, chances are, you're probably going to replace them or extensively overhaul them anyway, so I wouldn't necessarily make that a factor. I looked on the NADA website, and saw restored ones going for anywhere from $12,000 to $50,000 (asking). I'd say a really cherry, restored F-100 would probably go in the mid-teens to mid-twenties. I'd maybe counter-offer $4k, and see what he says.  

john.ellet john.ellet
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 08/03/10
09:09 PM

I have watched 52 f100's for a long time. I know you can find some that are on the road now for that price. It may not be the color or other designs your looking for but as always with a classic truck you going to make it your own weather you think you are or not.