Truckin Magazine
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

supercharger or turbocharger...?

hotrod2322 hotrod2322
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 04/16/09
04:39 PM

I have an '04 extended cab Silverado with a 5.3L engine. I'm wanting to add some extra power but I don't know which one would be best for my engine: turbo or supercharger?  

gmc6.0 gmc6.0
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/17/09
11:01 PM

id go turbo i have the sts setup works outstanding hit me up if your interested  

CodyKallis CodyKallis
Enthusiast | Posts: 533 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 04/18/09
07:24 PM

both are great and are close to the same price.  

Wheat Wheat
Moderator | Posts: 431 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 04/20/09
11:32 AM

Sts does have a nice setup.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 04/21/09
10:39 AM

They're both nice. They just have a different feel to them. Superchargers (especially twin-screws) have "right-now" power. Basically, you feel it as soon as you put your foot down. Turbos have more of a mid-range, high-end pull. Just depends on what kind of power you're looking for.  

nightrunner nightrunner
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/19/10
06:28 PM

depends on how much power you want and how you want it delivered.

turbo has very little lag if setup correctly but usually a bit more expensive all things considered. only kit available aside from custom is the STS. but remember the turbo is mounted under the bed so if you ever go off-road or drive in heavy rain, Id stay away.

centrifugal blower (ProCharger, Vortech, etc.) has a linear boost curve, so the higher your rpms go the more boost you have and when your rpms drop when you shift, your boost falls (known as worst of both worlds, lag of turbo and parasitic loss of a blower).

positive displacement (twin screw or roots or roots-hybrid) is the best IMO. when you hit the gas you have max boost right then and it stays flat until redline, and never drops off. Common ones are Magnacharger, Whipple, and Kenne-Bell. Magnacharger is basically bolton and go and forget about it, OEM uses it for a reason, very high reliability.

For your motor, do not go over 10psi, too high of a risk of blowing the engine.
6psi should give you about 100hp gain.  

Rebel37 Rebel37
User | Posts: 133 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 08/27/10
08:12 AM

How would a magnacharger affect fuel economy in a 5.7L v8. Just curious because I've given it some thoguht for the future. The pretty far out there future.  
And the fourth rider came upon a PALE HORSE and his name was death, and hell followed him.

Posted: 08/30/10
03:31 PM

@Rebel...It all depends on how you drive it. The Magnachargers have a built-in bypass valve, so they have very little parasitic drag at part-throttle. But if you're constantly on-the-throttle, then your fuel economy will obviously go down. But I can speak from experience having driven several trucks with a "Maggie" that the difference over stock is substantial and noticeable.

The most common knock I hear on Magnacharger is that they're expensive, and they're tuned too conservatively. If you want a really aggressive, balls-to-the-wall type kit, get a ProCharger. In terms of peak power, quarter-mile times, etc., the ProCharger will probably come out on top. But for day-to-day driving, everyday reliability, and top-notch fit & finish, Magnacharger's the way to go, IMHO. Most of the centrifugals I've driven are so peaky, you can't even really feel the difference in power unless you're practically at redline. Whereas Magnacharger and other twin-screw blowers give you immediate response & power.  

Rebel37 Rebel37
Posted: 08/30/10
07:39 PM

Tha's basically what I'm lookin for. Something to give a decent boost in fuel economy as an average driver, but still have more get up and go when the foots to the floor.
What are some of the biggest things to keep in mind when installing one? I'm by no means a gear-head as much as I'd love to be, but I still have the disease of wanting to do all work on my truck myself with a beginner's auto mechanic's knowledge. But I did read the article when you installed the Whipple supercharger in the Chevy C10 I think it was. Some of it I understood, the rest I knew would be over my head, but it at least gave me a small bit of guidance.  
And the fourth rider came upon a PALE HORSE and his name was death, and hell followed him.

Posted: 08/31/10
09:48 AM

It all depends. Some are essentially bolt-on and go, and others require a lot of cutting, splicing, etc. The Magnachargers are fairly straightforward. It's basically an entire assembly that replaces the intake manifold. You have to add the pulley & belt drive, and re-flash the electronics, but it's one of the more straightforward installations out there. You & a buddy could probably do it. It would definitely help to have some level of mechanical knowledge, as it would probably speed up the install and prevent some mistakes and frustration, but I've seen even seasoned pros screw up installs, so it's not limited to just rookies.  

Rebel37 Rebel37
02:09 PM

Thanks. Like I said, it'll probably be in the far off future, but, hey, you never know. I might up and win the lottery or something! hahaha. But thanks.  

DanWard-Editor DanWard-Editor
Moderator | Posts: 183 | Joined: 12/06
04:36 PM

Here are my two cents.

When it came time to build my LSX376 for Project Novakane, I asked myself all of these questions and after driving all of these in different trucks, I chose the MagnaCharger MP 2300 TVS.
It's a four-lobe helix and like Nightrunner mentioned, the boost is always on tap and pulls hard no matter where you're at in the RPM range. Dollar per hp, I was sold.

Not only does it perform well, nobody beats MagnaCharger's installation. Top-notch components, thorough instructions, and the build quality is as good as OE (they private label many, many superchargers for other companies and OEs).

With 10-12 psi of boost (thanks to an 8-rib pulley setup from ATI Racing and an overdriven balancer/crank pulley) the MagnaCharger should add a safe 300 hp and yes, you read that correctly. I will be using water/methanol from Snow Performance to keep the engine safe at crappy California 92 octane.

Stay tuned as the basic "This is what you'll need stories" are coming out in just a few months.

"More power under the curve"- that's the MagnaCharger way.  

Rebel37, to my knowledge MagnaCharger discontinued the "Vortec" 5.7L kit, but they do make one for older Gen I small-blocks.  

Rebel37 Rebel37
Posted: 09/01/10
02:49 PM

What's the difference between vortec and Gen I small block? I'm sorry, terms like that don't register with a definition.  

Posted: 09/01/10
03:36 PM

"Vortec" is a loosely-used term regarding GM engines. The term started being commonly used when port fuel injection was added to the truck engines for the 1996 model year. These were still technically Gen-II small-blocks. You can tell because the center exhaust ports on the heads are siamesed. Starting with the LS1 V8 in the 1997 Corvette C5, the Gen-III V8s were introduced. They have evenly-spaced exhaust ports, and although they have the same bore spacing as the "traditional" smallblock, for all intents and purposes, is a clean-sheet design. I could go on and on, but if you want to go into a deep dive, check out these Wikipedia links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Small-Block_engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine  

Rebel37 Rebel37
Posted: 09/04/10
09:49 AM

Are there any other companies that produce similar results?  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last