Programmers

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Programmers

Rebel37 Rebel37
User | Posts: 133 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 09/14/10
10:36 AM

Anyone know someone that makes a programmer for a 1993 GMC Sierra? I've checked Edge and superchips and the earliest year available is 1999. Is it just the market or mechanics of the truck?  
And the fourth rider came upon a PALE HORSE and his name was death, and hell followed him.

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 09/15/10
03:02 PM

You should check out Hypertech. If anyone would have one, they would. For a long time, they were exclusively GM. They have a lot of the early '90s stuff. Yeah, to be honest with you, you won't find a lot of pre '95 chip tuning stuff, especially for the GM trucks, since they were TBI until '96. If you want to get a little more serious, Edelbrock and a few other companies make a port-injection manifold you could put on that should wake it up a little more. Hope this helps.  

CodyKallis CodyKallis
Enthusiast | Posts: 533 | Joined: 04/07
04:42 PM

That was my first thought, Hypertec doesn't make a programmer but they make some performance chips and other bolt on goodies to get some hp out of your TBI.  There is a lot of different routes you can take with your TBI.  As Ed said Edelbrock makes intake manifolds and other goodies to increase your love affair with your accelerator.  

CodyKallis CodyKallis
Enthusiast | Posts: 533 | Joined: 04/07
04:45 PM

FuelAirSparkTechnology may make something for these trucks aswell.  While I'm adding to my previous post I might as well add that an electric fan conversion can bring some extra power out of your tbi.  I have never upgraded to an electric fan, however when I was building my last sport truck, ('90 reg cab stepside with a tbi) I did a lot of reading and research and I read it is supposed to help.  Worth a look.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
Guru | Posts: 1908 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 09/16/10
09:19 AM

Yeah. Cody is right. Most of the "plug & play" tuners came out after OBD-II, which I think was '95 or '96. The OBD-I tuners are actual physical "chips" that you either add in-line with the factory engine computers, or open up the PCM (ECU, whatever you want to call it) and plug it in. Either F.A.S.T. or Edelbrock are reputable companies with good products. F.A.S.T's parent company is Comp Cams, who have been around a long time, and make a good product.