Chevy ls motor in 1994 chevy truck

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Chevy ls motor in 1994 chevy truck

Skidoo722 Skidoo722
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/14/11
07:40 PM

I recently thought about rebuilding my 350 out of my 94 Chevy truck. But after reading some articles . I am considering putting a ls engine in the truck. It will get a lot better fuel economy and there are a lot of performance mods for them. Was wondering if anyone new a good place to start looking for an ls engine? Also how hard is it to install? Are there kits out there for bolting it in?  

DanWard-Editor DanWard-Editor
Moderator | Posts: 183 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 02/17/11
01:42 PM

That's a great idea if you live in an area where you don't have to worry about smog laws or CARB control.
LS engines are widely available at junkyards and salvage yards at incredibly low prices.
Any '99 and newer Chevy/GMC truck is a valid candidate with a 4.8L, 5.3L, or even a 6.0L in the newer trucks.
Also, Tahoes/Burbans/Escalades/Hummers also make great donors.
Here's a quick list of parts you'll need (the cost does start to increase as you go along, but it's worth it)
Donor LS (Vortec '99+) engine with virtually any mileage. I've seen 200,000 mile LS engines run strong.
Complete (uncut) wiring harness and ECU from the same truck. It needs to be from the same truck or at least the same year to make sure the sensors/connectors will be the same.
LS engines need more fuel pressure and that can be accomplished by a new/upgraded fuel pump and regulator.
New radiator with pressurized coolant overflow tank.
Cable driven throttle-body from '03 and older trucks. Try and stay away from '04+ engines as most at drive-by-wire and will require a new throttle pedal assembly.
Some trans applications will require a trans ECU.

That's the basics, and it may seem like a lot of parts, but on average, for less than $1,200 you can have a near 300hp engine that averages close to 20mpg.
Be on the lookout for issue 10 as we'll be doing a complete donor swap how-to story.
Hope this helps-
Dan  

Skidoo722 Skidoo722
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/18/11
07:24 AM

Thank you for the info. The only other info i need is where to get the motor mounts. I do not have to worry about emissions because i live in Michigan.Can I bolt that engine right to my 700r4 that i have in the truck right now?  

DanWard-Editor DanWard-Editor
Moderator | Posts: 183 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 02/24/11
10:27 AM

I don't usually do this, but here is a small excerpt from the LS -swap story that will be in issue 10.

Regardless of what flywheel you use, any GM flywheel will need the holes elongated to properly align with the 700R4. Aftermarket flywheels are offered for a simple bolt on solution.  Once the flywheel is ready the transmission can be attached to the motor. The transmission will slide on to the back of the LS motor exactly the same as a SBC. The only difference is that one bolt hole is not used because if used the bolt hole could damage the rear cylinder.  Once the transmission is attached, tighten the three bolts that hold the torque converter in place.  With the transmission properly mounted all that’s left is to install the Retro LSX LS conversion mount. Place the driver side and passenger side mounts finger tight, making this drivetrain ready to drop into place. Reuse the original style OEM rubber frame mounts in order to set the motor into the stock location.
The LQ9s electronic throttle body is swapped out for a cable driven throttle body. This swap is needed in order to mechanically control the operations of the 700R4. With a new stock throttle body from a 2001 LQ4 6.0L we installed the Bow Tie overdrive TV and kick down cable kit. The first part of the kit is to install a mounting ring onto the factory throttle body linkage. Then  a new kick down cable is installed into the 700R4 and ran to the throttle body.  Before attaching the cable to the throttle body, it is mounted on the bracket in place of the cruise control. The kick down cable is adjusted so that when the throttle opens to a certain degree it will trigger the downshift.

Also, check out [url=retrolsx.com ] for more swap info.They can hook you up with the right motor mounts for the swap.  

91SilverBullet 91SilverBullet
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/16/11
06:15 AM

Hey man you might check out Street & Performance...they got almost everything you would need for the entire swap.