Ad Radar
Subscribe
Subscribe
> > > > >
Does "ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality still apply?

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Rebel37 Rebel37
User | Posts: 133 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 03/31/11
09:32 AM

I'm planning a major build up on my truck and I was talking to a buddy of mine about it. Since I'm putting a higher horsepower motor in front of a stock transmission that to the best of my knowledge has not been rebuilt and has over 180k miles on it, I suggested rebuiling the transmission to avoid any possible future problems following the engine swap. He responded with "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." That got me thinking. If we lived by the mentality, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, would custom trucks be as big as it is? For example, if the stock motor gets you from poinjt A to point B, why build it with more horsepower? Am I alone on this line of thinking? Help me out.  
And the fourth rider came upon a PALE HORSE and his name was death, and hell followed him.

GTluvr GTluvr
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 05/07/11
02:54 PM

Obviously not! There would be no customization at all if everyone took that attitude. Despite our need to fit in, we humans also have the craving to stand apart from the crowd as well. Don't let this narrow minded guy dissuade you from building the truck of YOUR dreams. If he just wants to get from point A to point B, let HIM do it in a mundane manner. KUSTOMIZATION is KOOL! As far as the trans goes, I'd consult a transmission guy on what he or she recommends, but it never hurts to be over cautious when dealing with mechanical things.If your budget allows, then do the rebuild, or go for an upgrade that fits your needs and pocket.

GT  

Rebel37 Rebel37
User | Posts: 133 | Joined: 07/10
Posted: 05/07/11
08:27 PM

Thanks for the advice.
But that's what I'm getting at rather than saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" why not ask "if it ain't broke, can it be made better (bigger, faster, stronger, you fill in the blank)"?
Necessity is the mother of invention - unknown  
And the fourth rider came upon a PALE HORSE and his name was death, and hell followed him.