enigine dress up

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

enigine dress up

GTluvr GTluvr
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 05/21/11
07:37 AM

Normally I'm pretty good at locating parts to adapt to my offbeat uses, but technology has long since left me in the dust. I've got a '94 S10 with a 4.3 V6. Due to the increasing fuel costs, I'm inclined to keep the sixer. I've had numerous people tell me that it is essentially the same as 350 minus two cylinders. GM being a fairly pragmatic user of parts, I'd think that the belt
set-up is essntialy the same, making it unnecessary to stock a slew of new parts. I was recently told that my belt tensioner is in sad shape and I should update it along with the pulleys. My first inclination was to look at Camaro V6 applications and see if they'd fit. Unfortunately, they use a 3.8 liter motor and the belt system doesn't look the same as mine. I tried some of the aftermarket manufacturers and tried to find out if the 350 parts were adaptable to my needs. Most weren't sure and since they don't make dress-up kits for most V6's they weren't willing to tell me that their parts would work for my application. I also bought a set of Chrome valve covers, from Trans Dapt, a respectable name in aftermarket parts. It was when I finally got aroound to attempting the dress-up  that I found out that I'd bought a set of valve cover covers. That really struck me as bogus. Why has it become so hard to trick-out a non V8 motor? I know I could always do the "junkyard crawl" and find some similar parts and get them chromed or powder coated, but the time, effort and cost makes this a higher budget deal than just hitting the parts store and picking up what I need. One of my old faithful suppliers is LMC truck, but the '94 S10 is an in-between model and they don't carry many of the parts I need, so again that's a swing and a whiff. If any manufactuers read these posts, WAKE UP!! There IS a market for custom parts for all sorts of motors, not just V8s!

GT