65 GMC Shortbed Project

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

65 GMC Shortbed Project

classicforareason classicforareason
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/24/11
09:14 PM

I just got this 65 GMC shortbed and am in the process of restoring it. She runs well, has the original straight six 3.8L that sounds great and runs smooth. The three on the tree was replaced with a 60's Hurst/4 speed w/ a granny low. It's fun to drive however the previous owner broke a tooth off in second gear so it clanks, third and forth run great though. He used it as a farm truck pullin horse trailers after it sat in the desert for a decade...had a spot for a second battery and after market rear bumper...the things got some torque but dont like to take her over 60mph, though I've done it for hours with the new radiator in.  
I want to restore her and give to my daughter many years down the road when she can drive but do so while she's my daily driver. I drive an hour on the freeway every other weekend to see family and have done this three times with her so far. Work, school and the beach are all 10 miles away from where I live, some hills.  
New parts I've done:
Tires, radiator n hoses, wiring (although having difficulty with tail lights, keep blowing the fuse n when I hit the brakes the tail lights get dimmer), battery. Been working on surface rust in the cab and body, lots of sanding and obvious oil n coolant replace.  
Should I save for a new tranny and engine combo like small block V8 and do a full swap in a couple months and hope she keeps doin well as long as I continue taking it easy in second (only use it to start movin, it handles all hills in 3rd and 4th)
or
can I replace the tran with something more practical and do an engine swap after some body work later and use this straight 6, but still get a bigger engine later down the road to go with the replaced transmission?
I'll see what I can do about loading some pics to show uz guyz.
Any advice welcome.