Ooops, messed up again!

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Ooops, messed up again!

GTluvr GTluvr
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 07/01/11
07:08 AM

I've got a '94 Chevy S10. The grille is chrome plated plastic that's clunky and ungainly looking. Mine was cracked when I got it and I don't have an adequate workspace to make a custom grille, so I checked truck vendors for an aftermarket model. Most of which were as ugly as the original. I Decided that the GMC Sonoma is less offenive looking, so I ordered one of their grilles from LMC Truck, I also ordered a billet insert from a different comapny. I'd been waiting for the weather to improve so I could paint it to match the base color and never got around to it. Last weekend was the Goodguys car show in Rhinebeck, N.Y. I decided to put the grille in for that event. First I got my Dremel tool and cut away the plastic GMC letters in the center. Cutting plastic is always a messy job. Next I had to grind away some of the cross slats so the grille would sit flush inside it. Once that was done, I took it out to put on the truck...guess what...The two grilles are NOT exactly the same. The headlight location of the Chevy is farther apart than the GMC. So after spending the time and money, I 've got a grille I cannot use. I could always go to a junkyard and try to get the radiator core support from a GMC and use that to put my grille in, which makes the simple task even more time consuming and costly. If you're like me, and find the Chevy S10 Grille to be an eyesore, make sure you check the compatibility of other grilles right away so you can get a refund on your purchse if it isn't a good fit.

GT