Product review, replacement carpeting

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Product review, replacement carpeting

GTluvr GTluvr
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 09/17/11
03:29 PM

When I got my 1994 Chevy S10 pickup, it had a gray interior. The truck is blue and to call the interior "Drab" is a gross understatement.  The first thing I did was buy some of the Krylon "Fusion" spray paint, specifically designed for plastic and repainted the trim. Then I began the hunt for some carpetting that wouldn't show the dirt so much. My first stop was a Chevrolet dealership. The carpet was expensive, it had to be special ordered and was only available in the color they called, "Sand". That didn't fit my criteria, so I began the on-line search. I found many places that sold the carpetting so I began to eliminate the ones that weren't form fitted.  Then I started narrowing down my search by price. Most were right around the $115.00 price. So I ordered a rug in Blue. When I got it, it was a far cry from the factory carpetting. The instructions said that it should be laid out in the sun for a few hours before it was installed, so it could return to it's shape since it had been crammed in a box for who-knows-how-long.I did as instructed. It still didn't look form fitted. The factory carpet had a rubberized base, so even once it was removed, it still kept it's shape. This new carpet has some sort of plasticized backing. This is good should the interior get wet, but otherwise, it was a royal pain in the butt to install. It is cut larger than the floor and has to be "Trimmed" as they phrased it. It had no holes pre-punched for seats, seatbelts, trim molding etc. Trying to maneuver it forward as far as I could, it never seemed to settle in correctly. I began trimming and this also was a headache. The carpet cut easily enough with a razor knife, but it's also very easy to make mistakes that aren't easily hidden. Pulling it in and out of the truck was frustrating, due to the fact that it's hard to realign to where it was before I marked the cuts to be made. This resulted in one side being too short and I had to take the pieces I had sliced off and sticking them in the gaps just so it wouldn't look so amateurish. After wrestling with this stuff for an afternoon, I finally settled for the job that I'd done, but wasn't 100% happy. I ordered some carpet from a different source, and when I got the box, it was the same brand. Although I got rid of the package, it was something like A.C.C ( Auto Custom Carpetting Inc.)or some initials. I returned it and ordered from a third source, they also sent me the same brand. Today, Sept. 17th 2011, I finally decided to give another shot at installing the carpet. It was evident that no matter how much I searched, I'd end up with the same brand, and I was tired of shipping it back to the dealers. Well despite the problems I had before, it still was a major pain in the ass and it is necessary to practically strip the interior just to lay it down, this can be blamed on the Chevrolet engineers rather than the carpet manufacturer, but I still was ready to throw wrenches through windows while doing this. On an older model truck with a flatter floor and less gizmos to work around, the carpet would probably be a one two three install. So if you've got a truck from the seventies or older, then this brand is less likely to have you cursing in six different languages. For a newer model truck however, I'd definitely recommend getting an upholstery place to do the job, especially if you want to make it a Show caliber tricked-out custom. Sure, it'll cost a bunch more, but I think you'll get a much better fit and ceratinly have more options than doing it the D.I.Y way. If you're not discouraged, then let the buyer beware.

GT  

CodyKallis CodyKallis
Enthusiast | Posts: 533 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 10/06/11
07:05 PM

Thanks for posting, my 98 c1500 is bare bones right now and I too have been looking at ordering some new interior carpet.  I was leaning towards a site called stockinteriors.com but after what you've told me I'm not sure what to do.  I'm not planning on building "Color Blind" so I might have to bite the bullet and try the same route as you.  

GTluvr GTluvr
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 10/08/11
06:12 AM

StockInteriors is where I got one of the many "same brand" carpets, I used. If You've got somebody to give you a hand it makes the job a little bit easier. Make sure you've got plenty of time. I started on a Saturday, and was scrambling to get it done on Sunday to finish in time to use the truck for work on Monday. I don't have a garage to work in. It also helps to strip the interior out to make it easy to get the rug in and out multiple times. I'd hate to see anyone else go thru the same aggravation I did. Good luck with your install!

GT