Truckin Magazine
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Need Differential help.

Want2BeLow Want2BeLow
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 10/09/11
04:38 PM

I will be bagging my 2000 GMC Sierra 1500, Single Cab and I need a shorter differential that will fit, that includes the axle. I plan on just junk yard diving because I can probably get one cheaper that way.

What I need to know is what the shortest Differential is for my truck, and from which year GMC/Chevy will fit this 2000 frame. If anyone knows "EXACT" lengths, or even a website that gives me Factory Specs, I would appreciate it. DRIVETRAIN.COM was no help...

Thanks gents! Stay truckin!! Cool  
I WANT 2 BE LOW!!

tuckn22s tuckn22s
User | Posts: 115 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 10/10/11
11:34 AM

Factoy axle will be fine.. If the wheels stick out, its a backspace issue, not a axle issue  
World Wide Air Suspension Store
CustomConnectionLLC.com
facebook.com/customconnection
twitter.com/bagitorelse
270-860-1103

Want2BeLow Want2BeLow
01:52 PM

"Backspace is the distance from a wheel's mounting surface to the back edge of the wheel in inches." - Quoted from Truckin'

My issue is I bought a wheel with "zero" backspace, or to explain...The wheels backspace is neither positive or negative..It is center wheel, and I need a shorter differential, and axle because(it's cheaper) than going with different tires. I can't slam my truck without either A. Modifying the bed, or B. Finding a new diff.  
I WANT 2 BE LOW!!

Want2BeLow Want2BeLow
01:59 PM

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff437/SawMan5000/FrontLeftTruck.jpg[/IMG]]Frontlefttruck

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff437/SawMan5000/TruckBackSide.jpg[/IMG]]Truckbackside

You can't really tell but it sticks out about 1/4 in. in the rear. The front will lean in with camber as it goes down, but I just need a new diff. cuz it's easier than changing ANYTHING else.  
I WANT 2 BE LOW!!

tuckn22s tuckn22s
07:42 PM

if you have zero backspacing again... its not correct you should run 5.9" backspace / 30mm offset which is the same as a stock GM 20x8.5" The only way to change the overall width if you are dead set on keeping your wheels is to narrow the rear end  
CustomConnectionLLC.com
twitter.com/bagitorelse
270-860-1103

Want2BeLow Want2BeLow
Posted: 10/11/11
06:43 AM

Wheels - 22x9.5 American Racing VN870
Tires - Capitol 305/40/22

^ The tires are the issue. Not the wheel, and not my backspace. I cannot tuck them because they stick out from the body by 1/4 inch. I am not changing the tire, and I know GMC/CHEVY manufactured a shorter length axle (Which will narrow the rear) thus tucking my 22's. If ANYONE has a helping website, that would be freakin' swell! I need the approx. lengths unless someone can tell me another way to narrow the rear end of my truck.

CAUTION: If you say cutting my axle, I am going to slap you! That's the entire point behind buying a new 3rd member and axle!  
I WANT 2 BE LOW!!

Want2BeLow Want2BeLow
07:15 AM

Also, I've researched "narrowing" my rear end, and it wouldn't change anything..I would still need a smaller diff and axle. I am only looking to shorten them by 1" on both sides...I ONLY WANT GMC/CHEVY AXLE LENGTHS!!! THAT IS ALL!!  
I WANT 2 BE LOW!!

tuckn22s tuckn22s
11:45 AM

narrowing your rear end is when you cut the housing tubes down and cut the axle down and re spline it so yes that would work the diff is only the ceter part of the rear end and has no effect on the width of the axle tubes. Im not sure what you researched but we do it here in the shop all the time and I own 3 trucks that have axle swaps with a narrowed rear in them... Either way you said you didnt want to do that. I honestly will say from a professional stand point you would be better off to buy wheels with the correct backspacing. I know you said that your backspacing isnt the problem its your tires but this is incorrect. the backspacing issues is why its so close to begin with. I have bagged and body dropped around 20 or so of this body style GM and did not have to narrow the rear and ended up with around 2"-2.5" of clearance between the outside of the wheel and fender all becuase we used the correct backspacing on the wheel. There are several axle housings that GM made the vary in width form backing plate to backing plate but this was done due to the brake housing being wider so swapping rear ends wouldnt do you much good unless you went with the light duty rear end which is a 10 bolt 5 lug (you would have to get new wheels) or you could go to the 7.5 rear end but the spring pearch width is different so you would have to weld new perches on. Like I said before I have done this several times and you are in for a lot of work unless you get the correct wheel.  
CustomConnectionLLC.com
twitter.com/bagitorelse
270-860-1103

Want2BeLow Want2BeLow
Posted: 10/15/11
12:19 PM

I don't need spacing to take me away from my springs, and the wheels are flush, with no spacer. This is only a 22x9.5 wheel. You may have done this a million times, but I can tell you from measurements it's the tire that will rub the inside of my rear fender, so that is the source of my problem. I don't know that going lower profile would decrease the rub either, but i KNOW shortening the Axle tubing by 1 1/4" on each side will create the clearance I need..AND I would still be able to keep my tires away from the springs by 1/2". I kind of figured it out by myself, but I need to find someone willing to cut and re-harden my axle. Since you have so much experience, would you know how much this costs? And if I cut the axle, what other modifications would I need to complete this process? Cool  
I WANT 2 BE LOW!!

tuckn22s tuckn22s
Posted: 10/17/11
07:57 AM

Yes we do it here in the shop and narrowing the rear will run about $500-$600 but I think you are still thinking of how backspacing works backwards. If you increase the backspacing it would suck in the wheels and tires in 1-1/4 and leave you with 1/2 clearance to the springs. Narrowing the rear or changing the backspace will give you the same result. Either way its up to you.  
CustomConnectionLLC.com
twitter.com/bagitorelse
270-860-1103

Want2BeLow Want2BeLow
Posted: 10/17/11
03:48 PM

I figured it was about 500-750. I will be bagging it in Texas. Im confident that I can't change the backspace to bring the wheel in though. However, I would like to hear how I can change my backspace..Just in case it's an option I over-looked. I will probably just have my rear end shortened.

Also, can you explain how narrowing the rear end will bring the wheels in? As I understood it, people were actually cutting and "Z WELDING" the frame, but it doesn't change the length of my axle unless that's cut, right? PLEASE EXPLAIN IN DEPTH!

Awesome Answers by the way!!

SGT Bryan Sawyer Laugh  
I WANT 2 BE LOW!!

tuckn22s tuckn22s
Posted: 10/18/11
09:33 AM

to narrow a rear end you cut the axle housing down then cut and re spline the axle shaft to match making the axle (rear end) narrower. It has nothing to do with the frame. "Z"ing the frame usually refers to the front clip of the frame were it is cut, "z"ed up and welded back in place. You would do this if the motor of front end is lower than the frame likr it is on a lot of fords

If you increase the backspacing it will move the wheel mounting surface out causing the majority of the wheel and tire width to be sucked in making the outside lip of the tire to the outside lip of the opposite tire narrower (just like narowwing the rear end will do) On most every GM truck we build in the shop we use around a 6" backspacing and the wheels/tires will tuck fine without narrowing the rear. You said you do not want to change wheels so the only other option you have is to make the track width shorter is by narrowing the rear axle  
CustomConnectionLLC.com
twitter.com/bagitorelse
270-860-1103

Want2BeLow Want2BeLow
Posted: 10/19/11
05:49 AM

Thanks for your help. I requested sponsorship on your site, and have listed most everything I plan on doing, including competitions and stuff. I am really excited about all this, but I don't want it done wrong. (Hince my sponsorship request). I could definately use the helping hand, but more than that I really think having a Custom Connection Logo on my truck would look cool. Definately sounds good. But I always keep an open mind about sponsorships, and understand that not everyone gets one. I think it's a good way to broaden the shops horizon though, since I'll be moving back to Texas this February... Anyway, I'll update this as soon as I hear something from you guys! Thanks alot!  
I WANT 2 BE LOW!!

tuckn22s tuckn22s
Posted: 10/20/11
05:43 AM

Sponsorship is a hard thing to get if you are new and have never built anything before. Also I will give you a tip, most companies (including us) want to sponsor a full built custom. If the only thing you plan on doing is a clean dailey driver and not a lot of mods you get lost in the crowd, if you know what I mean.  
CustomConnectionLLC.com
twitter.com/bagitorelse
270-860-1103

Want2BeLow Want2BeLow
Posted: 10/21/11
08:24 AM

Yeah, I hear ya. But this isn't just going to be a clean daily driver. It's going to be a show truck. I don't plan on getting outrageous with it because I want to keep it classy.. I plan on doing some small conversions, however I didn't think to mention it because I wanted to take it one step at a time. The interior is going to be replaced by tan Denali leather, and I'm going to have shaved doors and get a suicide conversion for them. The system is installed currently, but it is being rebuilt for show by a friend that does it for a living. I am going to have 2(12's) & (2) 10's in the cab, molded. The rest is here and their right now, but I like the motor for the most part. I may add small stuff, like headers, and a Borla exhuast but because this truck is a nice truck with its current motor, I don't plan on swapping for another. And factory GM motors are probably better anyway. I am also looking to have my interior materials changed as well...I just don't know what color yet. This truck will actually tour, and probably won't see as much highway as I'd like.. But, I never got a reply from Custom Connection...I assume that means they aren't interested though. It's definately cool, but it would have been nice to get some kind of reply. I just feel like everyone only wants a truck thats "COMPLETE" to ask for sponsorship..Ya know? That isn't sponsoring though, thats just taking credit...I wanted someone to hook it up legit, and let me rock the tag..  
I WANT 2 BE LOW!!

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last