Vee Sixes

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Vee Sixes

GTluvr GTluvr
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 02/18/12
05:18 AM

I've got a '94 S10 with a 4.3 Vee Sixer in it. I've been told that it's got the same internals as the basic SBC 350 only with two less cyclinders. I figured I could do some fiddling with it and get decent horse power and still maintain good gas mileage as well. Boy was I ever wrong. In a recnet issue of Car Craft magazine, somebody wrote in saying that they wanted to build a glass bodied hot rod using a Camaro V6. That idea was shot down, the Chev vee sixes tend to shimmy at high rpms and to correct it would cost as much as ordering a crate motor. They told the guy he'd be better off using an L99 engine from a Caprice ( I never heard of that motor before)it gets better gas mileage than the sixes and it has V8 power. I've gone on eBay motors looking for the L99 and came up empty. It isn't a pressing neeed anyway. The thing I'm most concerned about is, will the eight fit into the engine bay without totally changing the suspension, firewall and trans tunnel? Has anyone done this swap? What are the plusses and minuses? Thanks.

GT