Fusebox and main computer relocation.

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Fusebox and main computer relocation.

slammed_lifted slammed_lifted
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/01/12
12:46 PM

Iv got a 2000 chevy 1500, a few years ago i installed a 6-8 drop with DJM controle arms and a axle flip kit. I had to cut out my front fender wells to allow clearance for the tires leaving me nowhere to mount my fuse box. since then iv installed a 4 inch lift on the truck with baja fiberglass fenders with 5inch flair to clear my 35/12.50 tires still leaving me with nowhere to mount my fuse box, i want to relocate my fuse box and my main computer in the cab of the truck in a custom built center concle whats the best way to extend my wiring harness or is there a kit i can buy? any advice will help iv seen it done on many custom mini trucks to open the engine compartment so i know its possible. thanks...  
2wdLifted

waynep71222 waynep71222
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 06/02/12
11:40 AM

i am probably going to give you the best advice...  find a complete USED second harness.. from the exact same model and engine truck.. or at least the same part number..   you did not mention which motor you have or i might be able to reverse engineer the wiring harness interchange by looking at sites like gmpartsgiant..

carefully unwrap it..       you will want to unwrap some of your existing harness also...   you might want to remove the harness you are working with and use nails and a sheet of plywood or pegboard and tiewraps to keep the bends in the area and allow you to work with the harness...

you should be now able to separate the various circuits by placing the donor harness relay box in the proper location where you want to move it.. .   then you can redesign the 2 harnesses into one.. using proper crimp terminals or solder the wire splices which is better and shrink tubing to seal the splice..

please use extreme care to reattach the ground wire connections to the back of the heads..  or where ever they are attached..  so you don't have issues.. as the ground side is actually half the circuit.. its really not a ground..  its the NEGATIVE side of most circuits..

all this work allows you to properly extend the harness...       you could also do it on the truck..  by mounting the relay box in the proper location..  then splice as above..

this gives you the proper material and sizing of wires  along with wire colors.

creating thinking.. might also allow you to add some extra circuits if your relay box is not totally filled..  

waynep71222 waynep71222
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 06/02/12
11:46 AM

in looking at this picture of what might be your harness.. it might be easier than you think...

slammed_lifted slammed_lifted
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/03/12
04:40 PM

thanks for all the info, by the way its the 4.8l. i was thinking about another harness but i was worried about length.  
2wdLifted

GTluvr GTluvr
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 08/25/12
01:11 PM

I certainly wouldn't follow the advice given so far. The first step I'd take is to contact a company like Painless or Ron Francis Wireworks and ask if  the sell an extender harness. It's a lot less trouble, the colors will all match, and there's less room for errors. I spent sev3en years installing car stereos, alarms and other mobile electronics and I've seen some real nightmares from D.I.Y guys who've ruined their existing wiring trying to hook up stuff they have no knowledge about. I saw three people who tried similar projects and ended up burning up their wiring  and fixing it was a thankless job.

GT