LPG Conversion

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

LPG Conversion

dheavychevy dheavychevy
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 02/09/10
08:46 PM

Can anyone help with locating a source (mail order) in the United States where I can get a dual fuel, LPG kit?  It has to fit a 1994 Chevy 1 ton step van w/350 engine.  

MARK4PROPANE MARK4PROPANE
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/20/12
06:11 AM

As someone who knows a thing or two about propane, trying to buy a kit does not work anymore. My fleets in the 1980's and 90\s put on about 25 million miles on propane. Each vehicle did at least 85,000 miles per year. We kept the vehicles on the road for 5 years then sold them. the average was about 500,000 miles in the 5 years. Heat is a big problem as propane has 18 times the hydrogen content of natural gas, CNG. It would be so easy to overheat any engine if you are not a propane expert in conversions.
  With the new EPA rules, you must have a window sticker on the vehicle to show the propane conversion was done by a properly trained LPG conversion shop. If you do not have that sticker, then no propane gas jockey is allowed to fill it up with propane.
   The money factor enters into the picture as well here because each vehicle has proper paperwork submitted to the state and federal governments when the conversion is done. In the USA, you get a minimum of $2,500 as a Fed tax deduction. Each state has various amounts of rebates as well. You cannot get those deductions and rebates unless a proper conversion shop does the work and files the paperwork and issues the window sticker.
 All propane conversions now use port fuel injectors. Only someone with the proper training can do the job. You also get back a 50 cent per gallon rebate on propane as part of the Bush tax cuts. They might be renewed after December 31, 2012. To get that 50 cents, your vehicle needs the window sticker and government registration.
  The bottom line is forget buying a kit. Lots of places will sell you the parts but if you cannot buy fuel, your screwed. do both a Yahoo and a Google search on me like this to read dozens of articles and blogs i have posted over the past 9 years. Then you will understand. Do the search like this "MARK SMYTH PROPANE" There should be enough reading to keep you busy for about 5 to 8 hours.