LT1 swap on 97 1500

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

LT1 swap on 97 1500

juan2low88 juan2low88
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/18/13
09:38 PM

hey how yall doin im bout to do an lt1 swap from a 92 corvette has any one done an lt1 swap on a 1997 chevy 1500 im gettin rid of tha 4.3 and would like some info on tha swap like trouble shooting problems and mounts and things like that any info is aprecaited thanks  

juan2low88 juan2low88
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/18/13
09:41 PM

waynep71222 waynep71222
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 02/19/13
10:31 AM

first.. which transmission do you have in the truck?????  a manual transmission i am hoping as the automatics are computer shifted..    there are STAND ALONE transmission controllers...  there are slight changes in various years of the automatic transmissions that may NOT interchange.. usually in the way the transmission line pressure is controlled.. and the way the torque converter clutch is applied..

in order to get the 92 computer to really give you the proper fuel economy.. you are going to need to supply the vehicle speed sensor from the tail housing sensor to the engine computer.. but there may be differences in the count per revolution between the 92 LT1 and the 97 vortec 4.3 transmission..

as for the mounts... the trucks also came with V8 motors.. so you should be able to just figure out whats different between the V6 and V8 mounts..   this is the easy part..

what i don't know off the top of my head... is did GM move the V6 application transmissions forward to move the fan closer to the radiator... which might need a driveshaft change...

one thing..  with the 92 LT1 motors there is a short pigtail adaptor from the side of the optispark computer behind the waterpump.. and the flat weatherpack 4 pin connector..  please verify that the micropack connector at the optispark is not filled with GREENISH grease (corrosion).. this has been an issue for a while on the 92/93LT1 motors.. this mini harness can  be duplicated with parts right over the local parts store counter or buy one aftermarket online..

the intank vortec fuel pumps should work just fine with the LT1..   line sections are available flaired for the GM Oring fuel fittings and with the proper threaded fittings at most parts stores... do not use anything other than actual fuel system Orings.. not plumbing grade version.. i can supply some part numbers if you need them... i normally buy them in fuel rail oring kits so i end up with several extra.. some stores have them in packs of 10.. and they are usually a reddish color..