4.6 Ford in a 1956 F-100

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

4.6 Ford in a 1956 F-100

ponchopete1956 ponchopete1956
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/03/13
10:19 AM

I am starting a 56 f-100 for my daughter here and have decided to go the route of using the irs swap from a 95 Lincoln Mark VIII. I have purchased a whole car and it is has good running gear. So what I am wondering is if someone has some good info to share on this swap. The rear end info seems pretty clear from the postings on here. What I would like is some more information on the 4.6 engine swap and what I will need to get it working in the 56. What parts do I need to keep from the donor car when parting it out?  Anyone else do this that could share their experience? Look to be going the route of the Must II for the front end, Is that going to be a good set-up? Motor mounts?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 01/05/13
11:48 AM

welcome to the forums...

that should be possible.. on both ends..    you are probably going to find more articles on that in a few sister magazines..   classic trucks and custom classic trucks...

there are about 40 car and truck magazines on this site.. each with articles and forums...

there has been a BUNCH of articles on the mustang II front end swap done also...

the rear end swap has also been done a bunch of different ways ..

March 2012 Custom Classic Trucks Magazine Irs

now offers a kit to install a readily available and very affordable mid-’90s Ford Thunderbird or Lincoln Mark VIII complete independent rear suspension in your truck. You use it all, just the way it came out of the car, no cutting or modifications necessary.
You get modern suspension with disc brakes for what you might pay to do a disc brake conversion on your old rear-end. TruckIRS.com has kits to fit ’48-79 Ford trucks, ’55-59 and ’73-87 Chevy trucks. More applications on the drawing board and custom kits are available as well.

Read more: http://www.customclassictrucks.com/techarticles/1203cct_march_2012_custom_classic_trucks_marketplace/viewall.html#ixzz2H8GPGEpD  

ponchopete1956 ponchopete1956
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 08/27/14
08:47 AM

Ok update on my project. Ended up finding a Crown Vic front IFS and am going to be using that now. Trying to keep it all Ford on this build. Power is still going to be the 4.6 and I will be needing the new wiring harness.