Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

starting a project on 1995 Suburban 350

mike1866 mike1866
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/25/13
04:17 PM

Hello everyone and suburban fans, this is my first time posting here,

I am starting a project for my father while he is away for the rest of the year. The project is a 1995 Suburban 350 4x4 4L60-E trans. Overall idea is to increase the mileage on this monster. He loves his Suburban and he already got a paint job and interior re-done on the vehicle and it's garage kept.

What I want to do before he gets home from work later this year is to:
Swap water pump to electric water pump, who has the best one with most gph?
Dual Electric fans, who has the market corned in this?
Larger Alternator to handle the currents, I've heard of Powermaster, any one have thoughts?
Insert a auxiliary battery, has anyone done this one? Mostly interested in this.
New intake, K/N, AirRaid, which one works best for a TBI 350?
New exhaust, he likes it quiet (OEM style, but something that lets the suburban breathe better, any good brands for this concept?.
And a electric air condition, no idea where to start on this but its a thought.

I figure the more I take off the serpentine belt loop the less draw it is on the motor increasing hp and mpg. The suburban gets 17 mpg as it is would like to get it up to 25 to 30 mpg by years end.
Would like to start ordering parts so please let me know about other sites made for suburban, and other threads on this site of course.

Thanks Mike.  

waynep712222 waynep712222
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/29/13
08:03 AM

What I want to do before he gets home from work later this year is to:

Swap water pump to electric water pump, who has the best one with most gph?   NOPE.

Dual Electric fans, who has the market corned in this?   Possible. but requires more electrical power from the alternator

Larger Alternator to handle the currents, I've heard of Powermaster, any one have thoughts?
Insert a auxiliary battery, has anyone done this one? Mostly interested in this.  always a good idea

New intake,  well this and Vortch heads with the matching vortec TBI intake might work out

K/N, AirRaid, which one works best for a TBI 350?     ?

New exhaust, he likes it quiet (OEM style, but something that lets the suburban breathe better, any good brands for this concept?.

borrow or buy a exhaust back pressure tester.. pull the oxygen sensor and  bring the engine up to 2500/ which is freeway cruising rpms and note the back pressure... if you remove back pressure you will have EGR issues..  and it will ping like crazy.. on acceleration other than snails pace..  i can explain this ..

And a electric air condition, no idea where to start on this but its a thought.

this is not possible.. YET... even now on new cars. .. the suburban is not like your camper fridge..  its a huge powerful system..  probably equal to a 10 or 20 ton HVAC unit..   look at the compressor lines in the back of the 12 volt fridges.. 3/16 or 1/4" max... on the belt driven unit.. they are 1/2" ID..

I figure the more I take off the serpentine belt loop the less draw it is on the motor increasing hp and mpg.   this is not really going to help much..    how are you going to run the power steering and the water pump... the alternator...    the flat belts require less power than a V belt as that is the one of the reasons they went to them.

The suburban gets 17 mpg as it is would like to get it up to 25 to 30 mpg by years end.

if you are GETTING 17 MPG.. i would NOT touch a thing.. thats better than most of the newer trucks available...  

a few things.. since this is a 1995 model.. with OBD1.5 diagnostics...  look under the dash board...

does it use an OBD1 type 12 pin connector for diagnostics.. or the OBD2 type with 16 pins and angled ends..  probably the later... so if it does.. invest in a scan tool... if its the obd2 type.. borrow a harbor freight 98614 from somebody.. see if you can read live data stream with it..

if not.. you will need an obd1.5 scan tool.. and those are getting hard to find.. current consumer models will only give you codes.. NOT LIVE DATA..  you need to view the live data stream...

post which connector you have...

this is a GENERIC TBI live data list.. there are a few errors that i should correct .. but i can go over them if you want..

TBISCANDATE87

look at the block learn and intergator... should be around 128.. if everything is working properly..

why don't newer trucks get as good as fuel economy as 1995 and earlier..

this is my personal opinion...

on OBD2 trucks.. there is an oxygen sensor behind the cat to monitor the air quality that comes out... this fine tunes the fuel trim to keep the air as clean as possible...

only issue..  in my opinion..  is the system at lower speeds needs to inject more fuel to keep the cats hot and operating..   with 0BD1 systems.. there is only an oxygen sensor at the back of the manifold to adjust fuel trim..  for the best air fuel ratio..

if you are deeply into automotive  computer programming.. one might want to google articles on the honda insight..  they can run up to 25 to 1 air fuel ratios at extended cruise... they do this by trapping some of the NOX in the cat.. and every so often  it will drop the AF ratio back to 13 to 1 to burn this out of the cat.. its only a few seconds..  so it really does not effect the fuel economy during a long term cruise...

there was an article from england where the insight owner modified his computer with a damping circuit to change the time between the normal af pulses..  and he actually increased his fuel economy.. but because they don't use much fuel anyway..  its hard to judge....

experiments may results in melted pistons... warning. .

i drop thru this forum a few times a week... if you have questions.. i can answer them...

even though it shows only one post .. i have been on the almost 40 forums here since 2007...  

mike1866 mike1866
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 04/06/13
02:17 PM

Thanks a lot waynep712222 , this was a helpful start to my questions! i will start ordering some parts these coming weeks, and post some pictures!