Driverside door won't open

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Driverside door won't open

mpinto82 mpinto82
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/06/13
11:02 AM

I have a 1985 Silverdao C20 in which the driverside door doesnt open. The truck has power locks but does not open from the outside or inside. The lock pushpin must have unhooked itself where i can pull it out completely.  Does anyone know if there is another way to open the door by a safety release or something?

Thanks,  

GTluvr GTluvr
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 02/09/13
03:37 PM

There is no easy way to open a door under these circumstances. The best way is to remove the door panel, which is a royal headache when the door won't open.  In the long run you might be better off removing the seat and taking it out the passenger side to get easier access.  I'm not sure of the exact details of this year truck, but  most have plastric push pins that press into the door. Once the window crank handle is removed ( if it doesn't have power windows)  there are generally some machine screws through the arm rest, many have a plastic panel that has to be popped off to get to them, What ever you do, DON'T RUSH! There are lots of wires and links in there,  it's important to note how they are hooked up so you can reverse the process once the door is open. Once the panel is off, it should be easy to see where the links are. They're metal rods a bit thicker than a wire coat hanger, you might be able to open the door by pulling on the correct one. If not, follow it to where it hooks to the latch and see if you can move that.  Do this when you've got lots of time, if you aren't successful you may have to reassemble it and try another time.  Since it has power locks, there may be an unplugged or broken wire lead. Carefully follow all of your wires  and see if that's the case. That's the best advice I can offer. Good luck.

GT  

waynep71222 waynep71222
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 02/12/13
09:38 PM

i have run into MANY stuck gm and other doors...

most take 10 minutes to an hour of fishing down thru the door opening with a piece of 3/16 welding rod and a short L formed in the bottom to work the various levers... on some i can pry the upper door panel off slightly...

what needs to be stated here..

if the latch is in the LOCKED POSITION... it WILL NOT UNLOCK if any of the door opening levers or rods are depressed off their stops..

so what i am fishing for is the various rods that OPEN THE LATCH... and attempt to seat them as i work the UNLOCK knob or lock cylinder..

if you walk around and feel the amount of movement of the lock unlock knob and key on a working door in the shut position...  you will feel on the stuck closed door that the unlock lock does not move as much...

i have had to pull up on the opening lever with my rod to attempt to seat if far enough to get the latch to UNLOCK...  then i could open the door ...  

daisy john daisy john
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 09/13
Posted: 09/26/13
02:50 AM

Hit the car near the door seam right under the door handle on the outside with your fist. Works every time - whatever is stuck in the door lock pops free and the door will open.  

daisy john daisy john
02:51 AM

Hit the car near the door seam right under the door handle on the outside with your fist. Works every time - whatever is stuck in the door lock pops free and the door will open.  

daisy john daisy john
02:51 AM

alexdale alexdale
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/17/14
03:57 AM

yes, hit the door  handle in the outside of your door.