Child Support Rebuild

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Child Support Rebuild

jcfreeman0 jcfreeman0
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/24/13
09:43 AM

I backed my truck into a landscaping rock at Camp n Drag Sunday morning right before loading it on my trailer. The bed had a pretty strong under structure I built after I caught the roll pan from riding low and messed it up a year ago. I had to repaint the bed anyways so I beefed it up big time so it could lay out hard and not flex and I could ride low and not worry about catching it on a bump and destroying the roll pan area again. It made the bed pretty solid. I hit the rock pretty hard and the bed had to give at its weakest point (the wheel well). The bed is toast now. That being said after thinking about it for awhile its going to be rebuilt over the winter. I'm chopping the top 2" with stock glass, building a whole new frame since I am going to run the crew cab 5.75" bed. I know a guy with a cnc plasma business so I plan on getting rails cut out for me with round notches and round corners. I will most likely go ahead and build door panels for it and finish the interior the right way. I plan on repainting the whole truck rescue green again but painting the interior Ipanema Brown. It will basically be a smaller version of what it looks like now. I'm pretty pumped since I wanted to chop it and put the small bed on a few years ago but the idea of finishing it was more important. This will be the last time this truck will look like this. It's finally off the trailer after the camp n drag massacre. Its going in the barn later today. Once I finish up a friends 05 crew cab thats in the barn now, I can start on the chop top. I found a 5.75' bed im going to pick up sometime later this year. I'm actually gonna get a crew cab cab for my next project. The guy cut me a great deal on them both.
1017699 553807301344172 1050022029 N
1150995 569713406420228 1734531325 N  

waynep712222 waynep712222
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 08/24/13
10:19 AM

i know that you are going to take the box and the cab off the frame...

please check the frame for squareness..  when trucks and cars get hit in the rear...

the frame rails can be driven out of square.../====/   instead of being completely square..|======|

its only a about half an hour to check.. and with a  strong ring magnet and a plumb bob.. you can check it with the truck together while its up on jack stands..  just be marking the centers on the floor.. and then measuring them after..

i have also found one frame rail bowed. or collapsed.. ===~===

i am not trying to squash your rebuild project.. ...

how about this idea...

think of frenching the headlights or tail lights...  where eyebrows are installed over them...

since you have to repair the back of the cab and the front of the bed where they smashed ..

how about some french work there.. so the parting line is almost hidden by the overlap..

don't forget.. that you might want to install some lighting fixtures that can be accessed inside the cab.. to illuminate the cab/bed gap.. be sure that it does not shine down on the ground.. just out between the sides..  

jcfreeman0 jcfreeman0
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 09/06/13
05:55 AM

I'm actually building a whole new frame for the rebuild, so checking for square on the old one wont matter because I'll be cutting it up into pieces and scrapping it. The whole truck will be repainted when its done as well. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do for tail lights yet. I do know I want some kind of custom tail lights but not sure what yet. That will come down the road as I am going to focus on chopping the top and building the new frame first.