2000 gmc sierra classic k2500 7.4L

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

2000 gmc sierra classic k2500 7.4L

kalebeburnett kalebeburnett
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/19/14
04:23 PM

picked up a 2000 GMC sierra 2500 classic crew cab short box with blown reverse, all other gears work, what is the normal cause of this and what kind of price tag am i looking at for parts me and my dad should be able to fix it ourselves. also has anyone done a dual fuel propane conversion on a vortec 454? propane is cheap so i want to convert it to make driving the truck cheaper but i want to do a dual fuel because in Alberta it gets cold in the winter and propane engines don't like starting in the cold. i guess also what tuners are there for these trucks? any help is greatly appreciated  

wayne712222 wayne712222
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 09/13
Posted: 01/21/14
08:03 PM

on the transmission..   that could have a 4L80E or 4L85E..  or the allison version..

the cheep way out is to replace the transmission with a good used one.. saving the original.. so you can find a rebuilder at a later time to pass it over the counter.. to get it rebuilt..

the 4L80E is a modification of the TH400... so its a strong transmission..

warning..  you can call transmission shops and they will tell you sure we can fix it.. that is a trick.. they get it on their rack.. drop the transmission.. take it apart.. say it cannot be fixed.. you need a complete rebuild at *** more..  so be careful..

there are several truck magazines on this site.. that cover some of the rebuild issues with the 4l80E and the allison..

here is a search that might help.

http://www.8-lug.com/sch/02/4l80e/articles/?SearchSource=Group

as for the propane conversion.. that i don't know about..  its probably NOT going to be CHEEP unless you can find a complete duplicate truck to remove EVERYTHING From..  

pay back might be a LONG time unless you drive a LOT of miles..  

wayne712222 wayne712222
08:03 PM

on the transmission..   that could have a 4L80E or 4L85E..  or the allison version..

the cheep way out is to replace the transmission with a good used one.. saving the original.. so you can find a rebuilder at a later time to pass it over the counter.. to get it rebuilt..

warning..  you can call transmission shops and they will tell you sure we can fix it.. that is a trick.. they get it on their rack.. drop the transmission.. take it apart.. say it cannot be fixed.. you need a complete rebuild at *** more..  so be careful..

there are several truck magazines on this site.. that cover some of the rebuild issues with the 4l80E and the allison..

as for the propane conversion.. that i don't know about..  its probably NOT going to be CHEEP unless you can find a complete duplicate truck to remove EVERYTHING From..  

wayne712222 wayne712222
08:04 PM

warning..  you can call transmission shops and they will tell you sure we can fix it.. that is a trick.. they get it on their rack.. drop the transmission.. take it apart.. say it cannot be fixed.. you need a complete rebuild at  more..  so be careful..