4.3 Silverado

Truckin Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

4.3 Silverado

CJ-five CJ-five
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 11/07/13
10:57 AM

I own a 2013 Silverado work truck with a 4.3, 4 speed auto. and 4 wheel drive with 3.70 gears. Is there any hope in you guys doing a build on a 4.3 for some power and torque or am I stuck with what I have? Any And all help would be appreciated.  

GTluvr GTluvr
User | Posts: 80 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 11/23/13
03:58 PM

I've got a '94 S10 with the 4.3. The gas mileage is nothing to brag about. When I first got the truck, I was told that the 4.3 was a strong engine, basically a 350 with two less cylinders. I figured with the 19 mpg I was getting it should make some decent horsepower, but I later learned that dyno tests have it clocked at 140. So not only does my horsepower suck, but my mileage does too! In a magazine article I learned that the cost of getting decent numbers from this particular motor are way more than it would cost to swap in a V8. The L99 motor found in old Caprices was recommended, and the mileage would improve because the motor isn't strugglign the way a six banger does. Of course this means a lot of fabrication for motor mounts, linkages, wiring harnesses etc. so either way you're kinda sunk with a money vacuum.  

CJ-five CJ-five
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 11/24/13
08:48 AM

Thanks for the info. When I bought the truck I was specifically looking for a regular cab, short bed truck with a v8. Every truck they found that was regular cab and short bed had a v6. I bought one & wish I had gone with any other truck that had a v8.  Thanks